Honor Goblets Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leutnant Luitpold Kuffer - SG-10-FW-190 Pilot

I obtained this Honor Goblet here on the WAF several years ago. Ltn. Luitpold 'Poldi' Kuffer was a ground attack pilot of an Fw-190-G in Russia 5/SG-10. He was awarded the Alpaka type Ehrenpokal on 1 Feb 1943(Patzwall). It is dated 27 Jan 1943. It is marked correctly by the firm of Joh. Wagner.

He is credited with 3 victories : 3 May 1944 - LaGG-5; 5 May 44 - IL- 2; 3 June 44-IL-2(m-H).

The goblet is in fine condition with a nice patina. It has 3 vertical scratches on the body, to the right of the eagle motif with a 4th below and to the left. Clearly these were done intentionally and I wonder if the Ltn. did this to record his victories and his crash?

He was shot down by Soviet P-39 & Yak fighters on 16 July 1944 SW of Ochlopow in the Ukraine and officially declared MIA on 1 August 44. He was flying FW-190-G-8 - Nr.190084.

A gent from the UK on another forum responded to an inquiry and provided me the photo below. Ltn. Kuffer is on the extreme right. We see his EK 1 & 2 and his gold Frontflugspange with hanger. No indication that I have found that he been awarded a DKiG. He had been promoted to Leutnant on 1 Nov 1941 which presumably coincides with the award of his pilot;s badge. He was reported in 1/SG-1 in Oct 1943 and was injured in a crash on 6 October 43.

If anyone has any info Ltn. 'Poldi' Kuffer I would like to hear from them. Thank you! Bob
    Attached Files

Comment

Hans Schoefbeck - KC & DKiG Winner - Transport Pilot

Oberfeldwebel Hans Schoefbeck was a long serving Luftwaffe pilot who entered service at age 18 in 1935. He served in the Polish campaign in Sept 1939. In 1940 he was flying in the occupation of Norway & Denmark. Later he flew parachute units in the campaign in Holland. In 1941 he flew supplpy flights from Italy to Africa. While in Africa he rescued the crew of an aircraft which had crashed.

He participated in the invasion of Russia and flew at least 102 flights from Seineme in Pskov for which he received the Demjansk shield. Later he flew in support of the Stalingrad campaign.

He was awarded the Ehrenpokal on 6 June 1942. At the end of 1942 he was flying his JU-52 daily in support of the Stalingrad operation, flying supplies in and wounded out.

His outstanding achievements were recognized with the award of the Knights Cross on 14 March 1943. His unit was 1./KG z.b. V.9. Only 41 Transort pilots were awarded the Knights Cross.

He made it back to Jena, continued flying back in Russia and on 1 Jan. 1945 he received the German Cross in Gold, an unusual occurrence as it came long after the award of the KC. One must wonder if he may have been recommended for the Oak Leaf and it was downgraded.

He was promoted to Leutnant in early 1945 and captured by the Russians at war's end. He died ion 18 Jan/ 1994. He may have worked for Lufthansa but this is unverified.

I would like to hear of any items of his in the collector's community or information on his post-war life. Thank you! Bob
      Attached Files

Comment

Honour Goblet grouping of Werner Stumpf

This grouping of should I say a small part of a grouping was once owned by me and I tried for a long time to bring it back together once more with no luck. I obtained it from a friend who got it from Detlev Niemann . I got an aviation artist friend of mine to paint the picture in oils from the portrait photo. I think he made a good job of it.
        Attached Files

Comment

Am I right in assuming it is Wolf Ettel's Honor Goblet?
          Best regards
          waterloo

Comment

Honor Goblet

I just picked up this Honor Goblet three months ago. I had always wanted one, when the opportunity presented itself I bought it.
            Excellent condition, no dings ,dents,etc. Nicely hallmarked.
            My question is: Would anybody on the forum happen to have any information on this officer, or where I could obtain such information??
            Thanks,
            Bob
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice Goblet Bob!

Originally posted by bgrelics View Post
              My question is: Would anybody on the forum happen to have any information on this officer, or where I could obtain such information??
              Did you try Google? I found information and photos of the Knight’s Cross holder with one search.

Regards, Thomas

Comment

Tom,
                I just tried Goggle with no success. There must be a forum that names all of the holders of the Honor Goblet.
                Thanks
                Bob

Comment

Hans Sauer:

https://www.tracesofwar.com/persons/...Sauer-Hans.htm

https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...ad.php?t=15865

http://aircrewremembered.com/KrackerDatabase/?q=Sauer (Nr. 15).

To get you started 😊

Good luck with your research!

Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by bgrelics View Post
                    There must be a forum that names all of the holders of the Honor Goblet.
                    I don’t know of any website like that. But he would not be on it. He received the Goblet too early for the “Ehrenliste of the Luftwaffe” and would therefor be more or less unknown for receiving the Goblet. The book by Patzwall on the Honor Goblet lists all recipient starting with, I believe, September 1941 when the official Ehrenliste came out for the first time.

Comment

Some info on Ehrenpokal recipient Oblt. Heinrich Bertsch:

4.(H)/ Aufklärungsgruppe 23
                      Feldpostnummer 32471

Awarded Ehrenpokal Aug 1942
                      Awarded DKiG June 1943

He began his career in the army infantry, then "converted" to a Luftwaffe observer, which was fairly commonplace, as I understand. Early in the war, most of the trained observers were in the army, and Goering had many of them transferred to the Luftwaffe around 1940.

I would dearly love to find other photos of Oblt. Bertsch! Please let me know if you see any!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Tom,
                        Thanks for the information. It really helped a lot.I see he was a RK winner.
                        Thanks again, Bob

Comment

Originally posted by ww2gunguy View Post
                          My only contribution is my Pokal to RK winner Alfred Bollmann...I have a pretty decent grouping of his pictures and documents...interestingly enough was went on to be a Judge after the war.
                          Can you post the image of him in white tie and RK on the Vets Wearing Their 57ers!!! thread? I think they'd like to see it (and some of the other images).

-- Guy
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by GHP; 04-29-2020, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ww2gunguy View Post
                            My only contribution is my Pokal to RK winner Alfred Bollmann...I have a pretty decent grouping of his pictures and documents...interestingly enough was went on to be a Judge after the war.
                            …..now available in Weitzes shop

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X