HSF with diamonds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed it’s a thought!
    Everything is different, on my uboat the hinge is smooth and has a different scratch on the pin ,
    It makes sense that after the bombing raid all new equipment was set up, so far no evidence has showed Juncker producing 3rd Reich awards after the wars end ! I once had the later post bombing anti partisan badges from an estate and was told it was removed from a belt the kind of thing that was normal for the war years trophy and not post war,

Kind regards Chay

Comment

Gentlemen
      A thought on the striations, does the Anti partisan badge with wide pin and pin scrape have the striations? This can help with the dating of these badges

Kind regards Chay

Comment

Hi Chay

Of the 3 known dies for the Juncker BKA none have striations and we know they date to a close time period to the striated badges but perhaps they were only produced by Juncker until the Feb 45 bombing.

Comment

Does the "Round Wreath" pilot badge have the striations?

Comment

Good question Gentry! Who’s got one?

Comment

Patrick - I do, but can't get to it right now, plus my camera is kaput at the moment. I'm hoping someone else with one can come forward. - Best, Gentry

Comment

Here's something interesting also- spotted this image on the U-boat badge with diamonds thread that Norm put together.

This shows a late war type 2 diamonds badge compared to a type 5 Schwerin U-boat. It appears that the die for these badges was also cut with a rotary tool- you can see the striations on the wing feathers on both badges.

Interestingly both Berlin makers; both produced (we believe) diamonds badges; same late war period of production....
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick W View Post
                  Here's something interesting also- spotted this image on the U-boat badge with diamonds thread that Norm put together.

This shows a late war type 2 diamonds badge compared to a type 5 Schwerin U-boat. It appears that the die for these badges was also cut with a rotary tool- you can see the striations on the wing feathers on both badges.

Interestingly both Berlin makers; both produced (we believe) diamonds badges; same late war period of production....
                  Hi Patrick

Yes, the later "Type 2" version Schwerin U-Boat with Diamonds from 1943 shares the same die features as their late wartime zincer (although the diamonds version shows significant surface pitting).

The ridges on the wings are a different process from the Juncker-attributed awards we've seen; on the Junckers the grooves are perfectly concentric circles around a central point in the centre of the die set (hence the theory that they're created by the reducing machine) whereas the irregular marks on the Schwerin are something else. You suggested a rotary tool but the process seems to have been applied across large surface areas --- maybe stress marks from the annealing process of the tooling?

Best regards,
                  ---Norm
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                    on the Junckers the grooves are perfectly concentric circles around a central point in the centre of the die set (hence the theory that they're created by the reducing machine)
                    Although, now that I think of it, unlike on the KM bagdes, the parallel striations on the late Juncker combat clasp don't seem to be concentric circles around a central axis. Our understanding of the process is obviously incomplete.

Best regards,
                    ---Norm
                    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X