Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naval Auxiliary Cruisers war badge

Hello,
    I would be very pleased with some comments on this Souval badge... It looked good to me
    Thanks!
    Giel
    Attached Files
    Kind regards,
    Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Attached Files
    Kind regards,
    Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

Hi Giel, have been looking at this award for awhile, at first i thought original straight away, (and i believe it is) however i have a couple of points of concern. The left hand top part of the wreath as veiwing looks a little flat, this is more noticeable when viewing from the reverse 9.0 clock and 11.0 clock positions. Secondly the cut out under the sail comes to a point the ones i have seen round off somewhat. Is there a chance of a close up of the mm. Saying that i do believe it to be original but this has me confused, lets see what others make of it. All the best.
      Last edited by mrg; 03-29-2005, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your comments Let's hear what the others have to say on this one
        Kind regards,
        Giel

Comment

Hi guys,

looks good to me although I must admit that I also see the "flat" line across the wreath between 09:00 and 11:00.
          Possibly just due to a light misalignment of the die?

I would be more concerned with the colour of the wreath on the obverse. The reverse shows more of the gold tone I would expect from RS. Maybe just due to lighting on the photo but possibly also repainted.

Skip
          LOOKING FOR ALL ITEMS CONNECTED TO HERBERT SCHOB.

Comment

Hi Giel.

Tough call. I don't believe I'm skilled enough to comment on it, but here are some shots to compare with. There are definately differences

KR
            Peter
            Attached Files

Comment

Side by side.
              Attached Files

Comment

On the badge posted by Giel you can see excess material on the wreath were it meets the swaz at 11:00 obverse.
                I´m tending towards original with misaligned die, we´ve seen that before. The rest of the badge looks good. Maybe you could both measure and weigh them for comparison.

I´ve seen examples of these were the "s" in RS is half cut away from the stamp.

Skip

Skip
                LOOKING FOR ALL ITEMS CONNECTED TO HERBERT SCHOB.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I'm with Skip on this one, I think a slightly missaligned die explains the little differences. Don't forget RS was a mass producer, and if your looking for high quality badges then you won't find them with the R.S. mm.

KR
                  Philippe

Comment

Here's mine.
                    Attached Files
                    George

Comment

Reverse. (Check out the "S" -- or lack thereof! )
                      Attached Files
                      George

Comment

Thank you very very much guys

George, you certainly also have a special one there with that cut off S

I also had an other question, I might buy this one after Stuttgart (if I have moeny left, probably not ), but what would be a nice price to pay for it?

Thanks again!

Regards Giel
                        Kind regards,
                        Giel

Comment

And here, just to throw another goose into the gander ( ), is one marked "L/58."
                          Attached Files
                          George

Comment

Reverse.
                            Attached Files
                            George

Comment

Now it's getting interesting . First thing first, here are my measures:

High: 56.47mm
                              Wide: 44.41mm
                              Wide: 27.05mm
                              (wingspan)
                              Thick: 3.68mm
                              (measured over the sail; highest point)

George, this doesn't make it easier . There are several differences and I marked two of them. The most significant difference as I see it, is the reverse
                              right side of the eagle's head. They are present on both your badges, but not on Giel's or my badge. I also feel that the last image (L/58) appears to have more outlined oakleaves wiewed from the reverse. My conclusion is.........

KR
                              Peter
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X