Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hilfskreuzer badge for review

hello
    here i get some photos from a not common Hilfskreuzer badge.
    I have found this should be a japan construction.
    Does this badges really existed? The badge is marked with "sterling"
    regards
    Attached Files

I have never seen a pin set up like that, originals were never marked sterling either. Strange one indeed.
    Not sure who it would fool, reenactor item maybe?
    Eric

Comment

Original Japanese made badges were indeed "sterling" marked,with the exception of the tombak made pieces.
      The mainpin on this badge reminds me of the fake discussed in this thread.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=614877

Cheers,Martin.

Comment

supposed to be the Japanese style but every one I see looks different

Comment

thanks all for help
          best regards

Comment

I agree with Martin here. It's a fake. Same type of fake as in the link Martin has provided.
            Here is good reference thread on original Japanese made AC badges: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...light=japanese
            Cheers,
            Hubert

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
              I agree with Martin here. It's a fake. Same type of fake as in the link Martin has provided.
              It's not just the same type of fake, it's actually the same example as the one discussed there. Poor photos of the same fake badge making the rounds. Cleverly produced in small quantities so as not to tip off the unwary public.

Best regards,
              ---Norm
              Attached Files

Comment

Okay, gonna put on my dunce cap and ask the question: The Japanese made TR badges during the war? for whom? This is new to me.
                Eric

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaMilitaria View Post
                  Okay, gonna put on my dunce cap and ask the question: The Japanese made TR badges during the war? for whom? This is new to me.
                  Eric
                  Hi Eric,

A brief summary here.

The Japanese made awards were commissioned by the German Naval Attache in Tokyo,Admiral Wennecker.
                  The maker(s) of the badges is unknown but rumor has it that it was a jeweler based in Yokohama.
                  The badge was awarded to crewmen of the HK's operating in the Far-East,mainly the HK THOR and the HK MICHEL.
                  The badge was also awarded to members of the Blockade Breakers that were operating between Europe and Japan and were involved in mine-laying operations in the main shipping lanes,especially off South Africa.
                  The majority of the awards,it seems were made in sterling silver,and these are marked "sterling".
                  A more uncommon variant exists and these were made in tombak.
                  Fortunately we have photographic evidence of the awards in wear and documentation signed in Japan by the THOR Commander,Gunther Gumprich and others.
                  Some of these images can be seen in the thread that Hubert posted above,on originals.

Cheers,Martin.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Martin W; 06-25-2017, 10:17 PM.

Comment

VERY interesting and it is something that I was never aware of-something new to learn on the WAF everyday.
                    Thank you for posting that.
                    Eric

Comment

good eye Norm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X