No announcement yet.

Schwerin coastal artillery badge, zinc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for posting these, anyone else have some pics to share of a zinc Schwerin CAB?

Al

Comment

When did it change?

Take a look at the following badges* notice on the lower part of the barrel where it comes out of the housing that some have a raised area and rivet (as on the tombac badges) while others do not.

Any theories as to why this changed? and when?

Al

* Badge # 1 is from Philippe (I think, I had it on my reference file without credit) #2 from Lorenzo's website,the bottom row are from this thread #3 Chay, #4 and 5 Tom, and #6 myself.
      Attached Files

Comment

cab

great work al chay

Comment

Hi Albert. Here are some more comps:

From left to right:
          My Zinc CAB- Tombak CAB - Your CAB.

I am assuming you are referring to the circled red area that is missing from your badge? I do notice however that the yellow circled rivet does exist on your badge same as the others.

The detail on your cannon does seem slightly weaker in areas, but it could just be from age and wear or a dirty die.
          Attached Files
          Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Yes, it is the red circled area I am referring to. There are a couple of other areas as well but as you said those are soft and not completely absent as this feature appears to be on badge 3, 4, and 6 in my rather sad looking photo shop work above.

I am leaning towards the dirty die theory as well, but even on a dirty die shouldn't some detail of that area be visible on most pieces? I do not expect to find a clear answer, but a few more examples of zincers might fill in what happened.

Al

Comment

hi lorenzo,you cant compare zinc vs tombak its nothing to with the price of fish?? chay

Comment

Originally posted by upbeek
                hi lorenzo,you cant compare zinc vs tombak its nothing to with the price of fish?? chay

Why not. Are you suggesting that all zinc badges have different die designs than the tombak badges?

Please enlighten us.

Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

dies

hi lorenzo,maybe they do because the buntmetal you posted up looks like it has alot more detail than its zinc counterparts.chay

Comment

It is simple Chay:

Tombak=early badges=die still fresh, clean and crisp=detailed badge
                    Zink=later badges=die more worn out=less detailed badge

Capisce?
                    Cheers, Frank

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,731 at 02:37 PM on Today.

Working...
                    X