Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvey. The Minesweepers is "A" ok. Just like mine:

Comment

So the HSF is good although it is missing one of the windows? I always thought that was a warning sign. I guess on only certain makers?
      HC

Comment

Hi Harry if you look closely you can vaguely make out the weak stamping of the fifth window. Some of the fakes do have four windows, but that has long since been corrected. All the best.

Comment

For Philippe and Harry I've taken closer shots of the U-Boat maker-mark and the five windows on the ship. The "W" on the U Boat badge is very faint; I didn't even see it when I bought the badge but found it later. I had to play with the brightness and contrast of the image to make it show up in the photo. I also had to slightly brighten the "window" shot, to make the 5th window show up. I hope this helps. Thanks so much for all of your comments, they are most welcome.

Philippe, I've sent you a PM.

Harvey
          Attached Files

Comment

5th Window
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Harvey,

I still don't know if I see the W you are refering to on the U-boat, but if it is the dark area directly under the catch, it is unlikely that this is a makers mark. It is directly on the catch solder, not really a secure place to put a makers mark. It may just be an illusion of a W, from some scratches or something.

I think it is an early, unmarked Zimmermann.

Tom D.
              If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
              [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
              Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Tom,

It is very hard to see but I'm pretty certain it is a "W". I'm submitting the same photo but with a red line that tries to touch the upper and lower points of the "W". When you see where it's supposed to be then perhaps you can look at the earlier photo to see it more clearly. Sorry I can't photograph it much better. If it is a "W" below the catch, who would the maker be?

Harvey
                Attached Files

Comment

Here's another where I tried to fill in the "W" with a red line. I'm not much of an artist; not a steady hand.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Harvey,

Thanks for the additional pics but I tend to agree with Tom, this isn't a mm. Maybe it's something that was scratch in by the recipient or it's a discoloration in the solder that by coincidence looks like a "W".

As far as I'm concerned Tom also gave you the correct maker. It's an unmarked L/52 (C.F. Zimmemann) Absolutely original and a very desirable U-Boat badge in great condition.

KR
                    Philippe

Comment

Hello Harvey,

Three nice, original Kriegsmarine Badges you have there. I especially like the U-boat Badge. That one is just beautiful and very scarce too. I agree with Tom D. and Philippe that what you're seeing below the catch is not a maker mark.
                      Best regards! Tom
                      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X