• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ratisbons auction CA badge

Opinons?
    Attached Files

A zinc S&L, the same type discussed in this thread:
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...07#post7263107

But I haven't seen one with that finish before.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Comment

It was refinished IMO, there are remnants of original, faded to grey gilt on both obverse and reverse.
      Cheers,
      Hubert

Comment

It is truly a sorry thing for somebody to refinish these badges. Polishing, I personally do not have a big problem with it, but refinishing is something else. John

Comment

closeups. It's pretty well done.
          Attached Files

Comment

Not sure what you mean Norm.

John

Comment

Hi John,

Just that on those closeups, the quality of the finish looked quite impressive, and not unlike what we see on the S&L Tombak Destroyer. It's only the sloppiness on the obverse and our knowledge of what these zinc badges should look like that tips us off.

Like Hubert said, you can see areas of the original finish where the top finish didn't stick. You can even see some of the brown lacquer finish in the circled area which probably prevented the new finish from adhering. If they'd done a better job, we'd be scratching our heads over whether this was a "premium" finish variant offered by S&L, but fortunately they didn't.

Best regards,
              ---Norm
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                  you can see areas of the original finish where the top finish didn't stick. You can even see some of the brown lacquer finish in the circled area which probably prevented the new finish from adhering. If they'd done a better job, we'd be scratching our heads over whether this was a "premium" finish variant offered by S&L, but fortunately they didn't.
                  Hi Norm,
                  I'd rather say that they just did not cover old finish with the new one in these areas. If they did the new paint could also flake off in other areas than marked?
                  Cheers,
                  Hubert
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
                    Hi Norm,
                    I'd rather say that they just did not cover old finish with the new one in these areas. If they did the new paint could also flake off in other areas than marked?
                    Cheers,
                    Hubert
                    Well, perhaps for the other areas where the old finish is exposed it was just poor coverage, but I think in the circled area the original sealing lacquer was probably thicker, thus preventing adherance? I say this because the margins of the new finish in this area are sharp and irregularly angular as though the finish had cracked and flaked off. If it was brushed on, the margins would be more indistinct, and if the wreath had been masked before finishing the gun I would expect a regular linear border rather than that irregular zig-zag.

But I'm just splitting hairs here...who knows exactly what technique was used.

Best regards,
                    ---Norm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X