2 CA badges for opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
    ... but I am still not convinced it is a good one. There are very good fakes out there, so I'll wait for better images to come.
    Cheers,
    Hubert
    There are indeed good fakes of this badge (the two types of Staegemeir described in this thread) and I wondered the same thing, but it doesn't have the features of either of those two fakes so I figured it was just a heavily messed-with original.

But it's good to have a healthy scepticism for this type of badge, especially when the photos are bad.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Comment

Here is the same badge as in post 1.

Amazing what a different shot can do to the appearance of a badge.

Do you still think it is a fake with the new photos Hubert?

John
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
        Here is the same badge as in post 1.

Amazing what a different shot can do to the appearance of a badge.

Do you still think it is a fake with the new photos Hubert?

John
        Hi John,

Hubert didn't have a problem with this S&L. It was the weird Aurich he didn't like.

Best regards,
        ---Norm

Comment

Oh. Here it is.
          Attached Files

Comment

Now that I see those improved images John,

I am not so sure that "HA" is refinished ??? Look at the spots of zinc reaction/ pest on the gun turret, background sea/ sky and on the reverse.

Years ago, a friend of mine got one from a veteran that looked like that. Nice gold wreath and dark gunmetal gun & turret. They are rare. Most "HA" CA badges have faded to a silver tone.

Same with "Schwerin" second model E-boats. Most have faded to a silver tone. The examples with original gold finish still remaining on the wreath are very hard to find.

However, lets see what other think,

Chris

p.s. could you please show a clear image of the pin or with the pin closed
            Last edited by 90th Light; 01-31-2016, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Here is an accepted HA, different variation than the other one posted but similar to this one.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
                I am not so sure that "HA" is refinished ??? Look at the spots of zinc reaction/ pest on the gun turret, background sea/ sky and on the reverse.

Years ago, a friend of mine got one from a veteran that looked like that. Nice gold wreath and dark gunmetal gun & turret. They are rare. Most "HA" CA badges have faded to a silver tone.

However, lets see what other think,
                I cannot agree and stand by my earlier expressed opinion:

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                The badge in the second post is indeed a Hermann Aurich but with a replaced main pin and totally refinished obverse and reverse. Not only is the gilding incorrect but on the reverse you can see where the new (incorrect) black finish went over top of the hinge and upper pin but spared the rest of the pin and the catch. The pin can be seen to be a replacement since it lacks the typical tooling mark on the upper portion and the pointed tip is irregular compared with the proper pin. A clever restoration but not the original look.
                In my opinion this restoration occurred years ago (hence the zinc pest/reaction) but was a restoration nevertheless. Of course, it doesn't have to have been meant as a deceipt -- I'm sure many vets or families would be tempted to try to recapture the look of a new badge, not satisfied with the tired grey look as it aged. Not everyone thinks like a collector.

Best regards,
                ---Norm

Comment

You might be right Norm,

the brown specks/ blisters one can see on the grey of the gun, turret & reverse looks to be a reaction to salt water or soil.

May be it is one that was buried or in the water for a while and may have had the gold restored (paint ?), (post war ?). I can not see the rivet detail or steps on the gun turret. Yet the detail on the eagle and oak leaves is very good. Strange to say the least.

It would be good to see a clear image of the pin because you thought that was a replacement. If its been in the salt water or in soil then the original pin would have rusted,

Chris

Comment

After seeing better images I agree that the Aurich badge is refinshed original example
                    Cheers,
                    Hubert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X