• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferdinandmax View Post
    is this U20 submarine was sunk in Grado, a town near where I live
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM_U-20...ria-Hungary%29

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
      Here's one previously posted by Stijn from the website of the Österreichische Gesellschaft für Ordenskunde (ÖGO) that is described there as a fake for collectors to beware. Looks very much like the one in post #17 but without the BSW mark.

this fake has no sign of rope in half

Comment

I had a matrosenkappe U20 now has a friend of mine, I collect material Austrian Navy, when I was in Grado have pulled it out the U20 , greetings sergio

Comment

Originally posted by ferdinandmax View Post
          these are the original stamps, are the hallmarks of Austrian specialties, the little ones are fake stamps
          I'm no expert on BSW but what makes those stamps original? I notice they're different from the mark on the Luftwaffe badges (although I don't doubt there could be several versions).

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Attached Files

Comment

This award shows the same mark as the Sergio's second example in post #28 (although I know nothing about the award). Strange that the "B" is upside down in both of them.
            Attached Files

Comment

Another one. I think the "B" is upright on this one? Could the letters have been stamped separately? On the Luftwaffe awards it's a consistent one-piece stamp but maybe that was a later development?
              Attached Files

Comment

Here's one discussed in the Imperial section that was thought to be a fake although the BSW mark didn't look that bad.
                http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=694814
                Attached Files

Comment

Just trying to make sense out of the images posted to date.

First, here's a blowup of the badge that was posted by Bill (labelled as number "1" in the group shot earlier) that he received in 1979 from his grandfather who served in a WW1 U-Boat. Although it's blurry, he reported that it is marked "BSW" and he didn't know if it was from WW1 or picked up by his grandfather afterwards.

Second is one of Sergio's badges from post #8, which is very similar to Bill's but with some difference in the shape of the ring at the top of the anchor. Sergio has described this as "real" in post #20 which it may be but no evidence has been posted yet to support this assumption. And does "real" mean WW1 or WW2 or even post-WW2, just so long as it's made by BSW?

Best regards,
                  ---Norm
                  Attached Files

Comment

Third, here's Sergio's other BSW. Same obverse design and same maker mark, but it has a rounder loop at the top of the anchor and a hollow reverse this time.

Fourth, Sergio's example marked "Reinemer & Spiegel Wien VII.". Somewhat different from the BSW.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Norm F; 01-07-2015, 09:07 PM.

Comment

And finally, Sergio's badge from the top of the thread. This one he says is from WW2 because this is the story he got from the family. He has reported and shown that it's noticeably smaller than the BSW and the Reinemer&Spiegel marked examples.

This is the only one that's missing the small bit of rope between the anchor and the "B" (the area marked with red arrows). It appears cast and bears an uncomfortable resemblance to the known $25 repro from totls.com with the same slightly concave surface to the letters "UB". Either this badge is a fake or the fake was based upon this type.

Best regards,
                      ---Norm
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Norm F; 01-07-2015, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Here's a modern fake on eBay for sale for $18. It's cruder than Sergio's badge and has a semi-hollow reverse but has similar faint horizontal striations on the reverse. This makes me wonder if it's just a later generation of fake from the same source.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Dear all
                          as a little contribution from my side, this one also came out of the Adriatic Sea
                          regards
                          Stephan
                          Attached Files

Comment

sorry for bad quality on this close-up
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for posting, but I'm not sure what we're seeing here? Looks like five examples attached to a cross-shaped stem of some sort. It appears one would snap them off at the base to separate them, sort of like pieces in a plastic model kit? Are there any clips on the reverses yet?

It looks more like a production artifact rather than anything one would find in the Adriatic. Do have any more info or is that all you were told?

Best regards,
                              ---Norm

Comment

Hi Norm
                                What we are seeing here, is an workpiece at an very early stage made out of zinc.
                                I bought it together with some pieces found in U 20, the bigger parts as we know went to the museum. In addition I have fotos from the wreck after it was found and taken into parts.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X