X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viktor Kempf on ebay

Interesting ;-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KRIEGSMARINE...item4ae2509d36

Yep, a problem well known to Norm, Dietrich and I. Lot of wrong information in this booklet.

John

Comment

Yes, Viktor Kempf trawls the internet for photos and compiles them (without permission) and with many errors into his "publications" which he sells for profit. His Minesweeper and U-Boat "catalogs" were already kicked off iTunes for copyright violations so he sells them on his own website and on ebay.

Here's just a small sampling of his ebay Minesweeper catalog. The Deumer timeline is full of errors including variants that don't exist and he has trouble telling the difference between Tombak and zinc examples. The "Tombak" example that he shows actually uses the very images posted by Mark McShane's of his unique mint zinc example with an unusual L/11 stamp in the centre of the reverse. Mark posted these images for discussion back in 2009 and if I recall correctly he bought this example on e-stand from PODO01 from New York. Viktor Kempf lifted the images, mistook it for Tombak, made up arbitrary values and even claims that an original Deumer envelope (which happens to be very rare) is worth $45...
      Attached Files

Comment

Here are Mark McShane's images posted in 2009. The black background was deleted for Viktor Kempf's publication.
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

hinge. All the same images lifted by Viktor Kempf.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here's another example. This is Tom Yanacek's one-of-a-kind prototype zinc Deumer shown in Viktor Kempf's catalog. In his own "timeline" Kempf calls this Type 3.121 (gold reverse) but labels the images Type 3.120 (silver reverse) -- in fact there's no such thing as a badge with this setup and a silver reverse. He gives it an arbitrary value range of $50 to $450. I'm pretty sure Tom didn't get his badge in the St. Petersburg, Russia gun show...
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Norm F; 12-26-2014, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Here are Tom's original previously posted images, lifted by Kempf. These same images were used in "The Kriegsmarine Awards" (copyright B&D publishing) with permission and acknowledgement to Tom.
                Attached Files

Comment

hardware.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Kempf's whole catalog is like this, full of other people's images and combined with mis-information.

A lot of my Minesweeper images (taken by my camera) turned up in there too without permission, cobbled together with other people's images. He even Photoshopped some images to try to disguise their distinctiveness like my Tombak Juncker Minesweeper shown here where he removed the sailor's initials. He quotes a value of my badge using Weitze's website as a reference, despite the fact that mine was purchased from Jamie Cross in England and is a very uncommon variant with a gilt reverse.
                    Attached Files

Comment

What a bloody crook this viktor kempf is, I am speachless...
                      He'd better did not steal any of my badges since if he did I will not leave it like this! But how on earth there are so many good guys in his accnowledgements?
                      Cheers,
                      Hubert

Comment

That is really bad behaviour and a crime in most countries. It is quite sad that you can only post pics with big fat watermark now...

Regards,

Daniel

Comment

Viktor Kempf (natod777 on ebay) is the same fellow with the 1960's S&L unfinished planchet of the Legion Condor Tank Badge offered on ebay for $7550. (He calls it a 1st pattern jeweller-made Spanish manufacture badge...)
                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIQUE-Germa...item4ad4f40ca8

Here's a previous discussion on this '57-era planchet:
                          http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ht=LCTB&page=5

Best regards,
                          ---Norm
                          Last edited by Norm F; 12-26-2014, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Another reference on the net...
                            http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ice-probe.html

Comment

What a rip off!
                              Kind regards,
                              Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X