Admiral Scheer equator crossing certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Admiral Scheer equator crossing certificate

My grandfather was aboard the Admiral Scheer on December 16th, 1940 when it crossed the equator. I have seen photos of the ceremony - what fun! It's nice to see that soldiers had some time to relax and have a bit of a party, even during war time.

One of the few artifacts we have from Opa from his time in the Kriegsmarine is his equator crossing certificate (name digitally removed). Compared to some ships' crossing certificates I've seen, this one is actually quite plain, but I have never seen another Scheer certificate. Alas, the certificate is in rough shape, and the administrative eagle stamp and Neptune's stamp are both very faded now, but I think this is a great piece of history. It is especially interesting since this event happened a little over a month after the Scheer destroyed the Jervis Bay (a pretty significant historical event, at least to Canadians!).

Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 09-11-2014, 09:57 AM. Reason: uploaded the linked image

Hi ReiseReise,

Very nice document and wonderful family connection. Thanks for sharing.

There have been several different types of equator crossing documents posted over the years. Here's one for a U-Boat man:
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=409125

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Comment

Interesting piece of history
      Here is another for a U-Boat man:http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...put+sunglasses
      Cheers,
      Hubert

Comment

Here is one i have issued to a crewman on the first cruise of the Hilfskreuzer THOR.

Cheers,Martin.
        Attached Files

Comment

Yes, just look how much dressier that Thor certificate is compared to the Scheer's! Perhaps they were on a budget or had to do it last-minute .

All of these documents are great pieces of history and excellent waypoints in a ship's career.

Comment

Very nice and interesting documents!
            I hope that you keep them and take care of them!

Comment

Indeed they are great pieces of a ships history.

Here is a colourized photo i have of Walter Nehm,the recipient of the document i posted above.

After the THOR completed it's 1st cruise he transfered to Zerstorers and served on the BRUNO HEINEMANN.

In this photo he wears both the HK and Zerstorer badges.

Regards,Martin.
              Attached Files

Comment

I collect both the Equator & Polar Baptismal certificates. Here's one of them
                for "U-111" commanded by Kapitätan-leutnant Kleinschmidt

Ron.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RKC View Post
                  I collect both the Equator & Polar Baptismal certificates. Here's one of them
                  for "U-111" commanded by Kapitätan-leutnant Kleinschmidt

Ron.
                  This one is so colourful and cartoony! I'm surprised that there is no eagle stamp or Neptune stamp, and that the latter is pre-printed on the certficate. Very interesting the differences in print quality, colour and general nature of the various certificates - they're as unique as the crews and ships they commemorate!

Out of curiosity, for how much do these certificates typically sell? Not that I'd ever sell mine, having a very close family connection, but I would personally find it hard to put a dollar value on such rare documents.

Comment

Originally posted by ReiseReise View Post
                    This one is so colourful and cartoony! I'm surprised that there is no eagle stamp or Neptune stamp, and that the latter is pre-printed on the certficate.
                    In my opinion, the one shown by Ronald is a post-war document. Sometimes there were post-war versions given out at reunions as documented in this thread:
                    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=222443.
                    Ronald's document looks somewhat newer than those in that thread. I don't know if it's from such a reunion or not. Hans Schmidt was indeed one of the survivors captured after the U111 was damaged with depth charges in October 1941 (Korvettankapitän Kleinschmidt didn't survive the conflict), but I don't think that could be a wartime document that survived the capture in 1941. Also I'm not sure whose signature that's supposed to be as "Kommandantur"?

There is a detailed and sometimes dramatic description of the damage and capture of the U111 in the official British interrogation report here:
                    http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-111INT.htm

Best regards,
                    ---Norm
                    Last edited by Norm F; 09-12-2014, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Norm:

In regards to the "U-111" Equator Baptismal, the signatures are 'original' signatures & the
                      document is a WAR TIME issued document that was mailed home to the recipient's family.

'Kommandantur' signature is of Kapitän Hans Rösing. Further info - The certificate was
                      issued by the 2. U-Flott. & sent to the relatives of surviving crewmembers who were then
                      POWs.

I purchased this certificate from Melcher de Witt - MILITARIA RELICS, along with a photo
                      of the 'U-111' & a "post script" - 'P.S.: The certificate was issued by the 2. U-Flott. and sent
                      to the relatives of surviving crew members who were then POW'.

= "The certificate was issued by the 2. U-Flott. and sent to the relatives of surviving crew
                      members who were then POW".
                      = That sure sounds like "wartime" to me!

Ron.

Comment

The example that i posted from the THOR is actually signed by the Commander Otto Kahler using the "Neptun" alias.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Post war

Originally posted by RKC View Post
                          Norm:

In regards to the "U-111" Equator Baptismal, the signatures are 'original' signatures & the
                          document is a WAR TIME issued document that was mailed home to the recipient's family.

'Kommandantur' signature is of Kapitän Hans Rösing. Further info - The certificate was
                          issued by the 2. U-Flott. & sent to the relatives of surviving crewmembers who were then
                          POWs.

I purchased this certificate from Melcher de Witt - MILITARIA RELICS, along with a photo
                          of the 'U-111' & a "post script" - 'P.S.: The certificate was issued by the 2. U-Flott. and sent
                          to the relatives of surviving crew members who were then POW'.

= "The certificate was issued by the 2. U-Flott. and sent to the relatives of surviving crew
                          members who were then POW".
                          = That sure sounds like "wartime" to me!

Ron.
                          Hello,
                          That's interesting. I thought those baptism "documents" were issued during a ceremony on board, made by the crewmembers and are not any official KM documents. First time for me to get know that higher commands were involved in this.
                          Does anybody else has knowledge about such a procedure?
                          Personally I lean more towards the statement of Norm. Roesing died 2004, so a signature of him on a post war certificate is possible.
                          Regards
                          Christian
                          Last edited by compressore; 09-13-2014, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                            In my opinion, the one shown by Ronald is a post-war document.

Ronald's document looks somewhat newer than those in that thread.
                            I must admit, I was thinking the same thing; I realize I'm no experienced collector, but the colours are just so clean and bright, and it doesn't have that "grittiness" to the artwork that Germans seemed to love back then. Also, the lack of an eagle/HK stamp would be a big warning for me for any 3rd Reich official or pseudo-official document.

Comment

Originally posted by compressore View Post
                              Roesing died 2004, so a signature of him on a post war certificate is possible.
                              Regards
                              Christian
                              Christian has a good point there. It appears Rösing was an avid signer of documents in his later years. Here's a grouping listed on e-Bay showing his signatures from 1998 on a Time magazine cover and the accompanying letter. He sounds like he signed that cover without being sure which commander was in the photo. The signature on the accompanying letter is very much like that on Ronald's document.

Also, in wartime Rösing was never commander of the 2nd U-boat flotilla (which U-111 was part of). Although briefly a commander of the 3rd U-boat flotilla he was later commander of the entire FdU West. He served in the Bundesmarine after the war and retired in 1965. One could certainly imagine him a prime candidate for signing some documents for reunion meetings.

Best regards,
                              ---Norm
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Norm F; 09-13-2014, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X