No announcement yet.

Fakes of the RS&S Fleet and other ball-hinge badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A second one, this time a wide pin variety. From a different seller but apparently from the same "maker".
    Attached Files

Comment

Two fakes side-by-side. Identical "scratches" in the reverse and the same incorrect crimping.
      Attached Files

Comment

Very good fakes, could easily sell online or at a show.

Thanks for providing these Norm.

We are at the point where nearly every badge needs to be compared side by side to a period example unless 100% sure.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
          We are at the point where nearly every badge needs to be compared side by side to a period example unless 100% sure.
          Fake on the left, originals on the right.
          Attached Files

Comment

I do not think these were made to order in some country outside of Germany. I think these were made by an individual dealer almost as a hobby to see if he could do it.

There is not enough of these to warrant a factory in China to make them, these were made in a workshop in somebody's basement IMO.

Lot of effort, not much payoff. The person that made these is just trying to see if it passes as an original and if they can make a few dollars or euros, extra satisfaction.

Your side by sides above show how hard it is to spot by all but a few collectors. The catch crimp is an example, very hard to see the difference. The pin, not so good, nor is the ball hinge when expanded to the size of my computer screen. In hand, different story.

Bottom line, all RSS ball hinge badges should be posted for examination unless you have an Ipad or something like that to use at a show.

I see collectors using them these days with period examples ready for use. Then they snap a shot of the badge and do a side by side on the spot. Still, you need to know what you are looking at.

John

Comment

Hi Guys,

Here's another example like the one at the start of the thread. Very nicely done but a good quality casting, in my opinion. In the comparison of the reverses of the two fakes you see the same 3-dot flaw on the wreath and the same shape to the eagle's head which is slightly different from originals.

Best regards,
              ---Norm
              Attached Files

Comment

The closeups tell the story. Again the hardware isn't crimped but instead is soldered into cast reproductions of the crimps. You can see a casting seam in the internal cutouts as well. Another one for the books.
                Attached Files

Comment

A couple of nice originals for comparison from past postings. Note the texture, finish, shape of the eagle's head in outline and the hardware crimps, and compare that with the cast fakes in the previous post.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Just to add originals I used to have.
                    Attached Files

Comment

One more.
                      Attached Files

Comment

details
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X