X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, there it is. Good spot Norm.

John

Comment

Looks like the maker mark is also slightly different, the "R" looking more like a "B" in the fakes.

It is interesting that both fake examples are in poor condition of almost no value even if they were both period. That is not to say better examples of the fake do not exist and reside in collections.

We need to be careful with this one if we see it again.

John

Comment

This may or may not be related to the Fleet badges, but at the very least shows there's a long history of high quality fakes with ball hinges and fakes with an R.S.&S. mark. Apparently the Heer crowd is well aware of these fake PABs as far back as the early 1990's, said to have come from eastern Europe. Identical obverses and cutouts but a variety of reverses including a ball-hinge HA (Hermann Aurich never used a ball hinge) and an R.S.&S. with different setup (Richard Simm never made a PAB).

We're just lucky over here in KM that there was somewhat less interest and marketability to feed the high quality fake producers in the past -- still some of course but probably less than Heer.

Best regards,
        ---Norm
        Attached Files

Comment

Right, good images Norm. We know that there are fakes in LW and Heer with ball hinges, but so far, this RSS HSF is the only one we have seen in KM, correct?

John

Comment

What other KM badges are there with ball hinges?

AS S-boat, but no fakes of that with a ball hinge I think.
            JFS destroyer
            AS MS
            RSS HSF

John

Comment

Thanks for the reply Norm...

Just to add to the discussion about Ball Hinged Fakes...Here is a JFS IAB fake with a ball hinge and crimped in catch.

Best Regards, fischer
              Attached Files

Comment

And all 3, especially the last one, have the casting marks.
                JAndrew

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                  What other KM badges are there with ball hinges?

AS S-boat, but no fakes of that with a ball hinge I think.
                  JFS destroyer
                  AS MS
                  RSS HSF

John
                  Hi John,

That's a good approach, and although I'm not aware of any fakes of the AS S-Boat, there are indeed fakes of the others you mentioned. Besides the Fleet badge in this thread, I'll post the other ball hinge fakes.

First the Staegemeir fake "AS in triangle" Minesweeper.
                  Attached Files

Comment

fake "unmarked AS".
                    Attached Files

Comment

and finally, the fake JFS Destroyer
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                        I'm not aware of any fakes of the AS S-Boat...
                        I spoke too soon. But this fake doesn't attempt to duplicate the ball-hinge hardware.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Getting back to the Fleet badge, here's an interesting comparison. On the top is a detail from the badge from the top of the thread. On the bottom is an example of the Staegemeir "Type 1" fake of the HA Coastal Artillery badge. There you see a casting of a round crimp without a catch and a strikingly similar brownish discolouration of the surface. The general texture of the reverse surface seems similar as well. It makes you wonder if these two badges came out of the same workshop.

(Just a reminder, when we say "Staegemeir fakes" we're referring to badges of the same type that were marketed on his website over the years. We don't know if Staegemeir actually makes the fakes on his site or commissions them or simply sources them from a particular supplier, although occasionally he sells both the fakes and the actual original badge from which it was cast on his website at the same time.)

Best regards,
                          ---Norm
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Norm

Another Ball Hinge fake/technique some might encounter. This example I found on the infamous Auction list as well.

This MK1 IAB has the crimping area as a separate piece instead of being an integral part of the reverse die.
                            The crimp and the hinge appears to be one assemblage and looks to be soldered in place.

The catch appears to be made in the same fashion.

Best Regards, fischer
                            Attached Files

Comment

Great discussion.
                              Thanks
                              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by fischer View Post
                                Another Ball Hinge fake/technique some might encounter. This example I found on the infamous Auction list as well.
                                A couple more high-end fake R.S.&S. badges have surfaced recently. First, this one I believe is from the same source as the IAB posted by Don.

Best regards,
                                ---Norm
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X