This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
    Can you post a scan of the 2008 price guide page?

John
    !
    Attached Files

Comment

Excellent. Thanks. John

Comment

It's interesting how the same examples make the rounds. The one cut off at the top of the image from Niemann's 2008 guide is the same one with the repaired pin that he passed on to eMedals and was shown in posts #43-44.

The example in the centre of the Niemann catalog page, as far as I can tell, has not yet been posted in this thread. I wonder where that one ended up.

Best regards,
        ---Norm
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
          I wonder where that one ended up.

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          I thought you bought it for my birthday Norm?

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
            I thought you bought it for my birthday Norm?
            Oh yes, I forgot because I bought it such a long time ago and hid it under the couch...

Comment

chronological listing of Oak Leaves recipients

Most listings of "recipients" are in alphabetical order by surname. I thought it might be more useful to show the list of officers in chronological order of when they were awarded the Oak Leaves and hence became eligible. It's important to note this is a really just a list of those eligible for the U-Boat with Diamonds -- that does not mean that they all actually received it.

I've put an asterisk beside those whose attributed badges are shown in this thread (13 so far). I've also noted the 12 who are listed on uboat.net as "U-boat Commanders decorated with U-boat War Badge with Diamonds (U-Boot-Kriegsabzeichen mit Brillanten) located". Considering the overlap in those two lists, there are a total of 18 awards accounted for here, of the eligible 30 (including the non-OL recipient Korvettenkapitän Peter-Erich Cremer). As mentioned in post #153, there's no evidence yet of a U-Boat with Diamonds bestowed after Emmermann's in October, 1943.

1 Korvettenkapitän Gunther Prien - OL October 20, 1940 as Kapitänleutnant
              2 Fregattenkapitän Otto Kretschmer - OL November 4, 1940 as Kapitänleutnant
              3 Kapitänleutnant Joachim Schepke - OL December 1, 1940 as Kapitänleutnant

4 Kapitänleutnant Engelbert Endrass - OL June 10, 1941 as Kapitänleutnant, (U-Boat with diamonds on 18 July 1941) - on uboat.net
              *5 Fregattenkapitän Heinrich Liebe - OL June 10, 1941
              *6 Korvettenkapitän Herbert Schultze - OL June 12, 1941 as Kapitänleutnant, (U-Boat with diamonds on 15 July 1941) - on uboat.net
              7 Kapitän zur See Viktor Schütze - OL July 14, 1941 as Korvettenkapitän
              *8 Fregattenkapitän Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock - OL December 31, 1941
              *9 Fregattenkapitän Reinhard Suhren - OL December 31, 1941 as Oberleutnant zur See, (U-Boat with diamonds in March, 1942) - on uboat.net

10 Fregattenkapitän Erich Topp - OL April 11, 1942 as Kapitänleutnant, (U-Boat with diamonds on April 11, 1942) - on uboat.net
              11 Korvettenkapitän Reinhard Hardegen - OL April 23, 1942 as Kapitänleutnant, (U-Boat with diamonds on 7 May 1942) - on uboat.net
              *12 Kapitänleutnant Rolf Mützelburg - OL July 15, 1942 as Kapitänleutnant
              *13 Korvettenkapitän Adalbert Schnee - OL July 15, 1942 as Kapitänleutnant
              14 Kapitän zur See Klaus Scholtz - OL September 10, 1942 as Korvettenkapitän
              15 Korvettenkapitän Heinrich Bleichrodt - OL September 23, 1942 as Kapitänleutnant, (U-Boat with diamonds October, 1942) - on uboat.net
              *16 Kapitän zur See Wolfgang Lüth - OL November 14, 1942 as Kapitänleutnant, (U-Boat with diamonds on January 26, 1943) - on uboat.net
              *17 Kapitän zur See Karl-Friedrich Merten - OL November 16, 1942, (U-boat with diamonds on January 30, 1943) - on uboat.net

18 Kapitänleutnant Friedrich Guggenberger - OL January 8, 1943 as Kapitänleutnant
              19 Korvettenkapitän Johann Mohr - OL January 13, 1943 as Kapitänleutnant
              *20 Korvettenkapitän Georg Lassen - OL March 7, 1943 as Kapitänleutnant, (U-Boat with diamonds supposedly on Oct 22, 1944) - on uboat.net
              *21 Admiral Karl Dönitz (special grade) - OL April 6, 1943
              *22 Fregattenkapitän Albrecht Brandi - OL April 11, 1943 as Kapitänleutnant, (U-Boat with diamonds July, 1944) - on uboat.net
              23 Korvettenkapitän Otto von Bülow - OL April 26, 1943 as Kapitänleutnant, (U-Boat with diamonds May, 1943) - on uboat.net
              24 Korvettenkapitän Robert Gysae - OL May 31, 1943
              25 Korvettenkapitän Werner Henke - OL July 4, 1943 as Kapitänleutnant
              *26 Korvettenkapitän Carl Emmermann - OL July 4 1943 as Kapitänleutnant, (U-Boat with diamonds on October 1, 1943) - on uboat.net

27 Kapitän zur See Werner Hartmann - OL November 5, 1944

28 Kapitänleutnant Hans-Günther Lange - OL April 29, 1945 as Kapitänleutnant
              29 Kapitänleutnant Rolf Thomsen - OL April 29, 1945 as Kapitänleutnant

*30 Korvettenkapitän Peter-Erich Cremer - no Oak Leaves

Best regards,
              ---Norm
              Last edited by Norm F; 11-17-2019, 06:54 PM.

Comment

1 Korvettenkapitän Gunther Prien - OL October 20, 1940 as Kapitänleutnant
                Didn't we have a pic showing Prien's awards (including the badge with diamonds)?

Comment

Originally posted by Sepp45 View Post
                  Didn't we have a pic showing Prien's awards (including the badge with diamonds)?
                  Hi Sepp,

No, all we've seen is the sales notice in post #80 which shows two reproductions in my opinion, both with and without diamonds.

Best regards,
                  ---Norm

Comment

Another badge worth posting here is this one from the Ailsby blog. This is a standard original Schwerin U-Boat badge to which someone has applied a diamond swastika -- so not a true "U-Boat with diamonds". This looks like the same badge seen at the top of post #11.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Sepp,

No, all we've seen is the sales notice in post #80 which shows two reproductions in my opinion, both with and without diamonds.

Best regards,
                      ---Norm
                      Thanks Norm

Comment

This is the type of diamonds U-boat badge that has been used to deceive collectors, and dealers, in years gone by. Meaning, the standard SB U-boat tombak badge with the diamonds added.

I also think a number of them had been produced by certain collectors just for "fun", with no intent to deceive anybody, to have a diamonds badge, but they later morphed into the real thing.

"Fun" meaning to play a joke in a way on friends with the new acquisition, or to see if others would believe it, or something else. They are out there, we know what they look like now, and for certain collectors, they have a place I think.

John

Comment

Just added the Meissen plate awarded to Kapitänleutnant CREMER to go with his U-Boat Badge with diamonds.

Stan
                          Attached Files

Comment

Amazing you were able to put this together Stan. Thanks for posting images of the group. The plate is very nice. Who had this plate all these years?

John

Comment

Thanks John.

It was sold at auction by Hermann Historica in 2004 together with other items belonging to Cremer.

I mentioned on another forum that I would love to add the plate to my collection and the very next day I received an email!

Its funny how things work out.

Stan

Comment

Yes, it is. Good for you and the plate is in perfect condition. Somebody took very good care of it.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X