Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They also have in their archive this interesting S-Boat with Diamonds and the description:

"2.WK. D:Orden: Schnellboot Kriegsabzeichen m. Brillanten

2.WW, Germany, Navy : decorations / medals: Naval torpedo boat war badge with brilliants (since 1941)

Date/period photographed; 01.01.1941 - 31.12.1941

Credit
    ullstein bild - V. A. Behr"

Again it's not clear when it was actually photographed. The second pattern S-Boat wasn't introduced until 1943, so it seems unlikely that this Diamond badge was photographed in 1941.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
      It therefore seems possible that the photo of the Diamonds badge was from a later unspecified time period. Hard to say though.
      Norm, thanks for that information and comparative photos. I put the date in 1941 because of the indication given at the website.

Comment

Just posing a question. Is there any evidence that any U-Boat badge with diamonds was ever actually awarded after 1943?

As far as I can tell only three of the Oak Leaves winners were after 1943. Emmermann and Henke both got their Oak Leaves in July, 1943 and then there seems to be a big gap until:
        1) Werner Hartmann was awarded his Oak Leaves on Nov 5, 1944
        2) Rolf Thomsen, Oak Leaves April 29, 1945
        3) Hans-Günther Lange, Oak Leaves Apr 29, 1945

It seems unlikely that the last two could ever have received a badge before the end of the war, and we haven't seen any postings about Hartmann. In fact, there's no evidence that any diamond version of any KM badge was awarded after 1943.

As "Admiralinspekteur", Raeder was was progressively marginalized. Is it possible that he had packed it in by 1944?

Best regards,
        ---Norm
        Last edited by Norm F; 05-29-2015, 09:43 PM.

Comment

U-boat with diamonds

Hi,
          Have you seen the U-Boat with diamonds at the next Thies and Johnson auction?
          Is this an original one?
          http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lo...6-c-cf14024876
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by compressore View Post
            Hi,
            Have you seen the U-Boat with diamonds at the next Thies and Johnson auction?
            Is this an original one?
            http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lo...6-c-cf14024876
            I believe so. It's the same badge shown in post #61 here:
            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...89#post5596189

In fact, they're showing the exact same old photos of the badge in that auction. Perhaps it never sold back in 2012 and they're trying again in today's market?

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Norm F; 06-14-2015, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Despite the odd location of the maker mark on the pin, it otherwise looks like a typical "Type 1" U-boat with diamonds, consistent with the time of award (July 15, 1941).
              Attached Files

Comment

The Schulze piece with soldbuch was offert before in the auction of Thies by a dealer !!

Comment

Originally posted by frankandfrank View Post
                  The Schulze piece with soldbuch was offert before in the auction of Thies by a dealer !!
                  Hi frankandfrank,

According to the other post, this grouping was for sale by Andreas Thies in 2012, and as stated is now on auction by "Thies & Johnson".

Are you saying it was offered by a different dealer before or after 2012?

Best regards,
                  ---Norm
                  Last edited by Norm F; 06-10-2015, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sepp45 View Post
                    Not the best picture, but that's Fregattenkapitän Reinhard Suhren's badge with diamonds, as shown on the book "Nasses Eichenlaub - Als Kommandant und FDU im U-Boot-Krieg", by Fritz Brustat-Naval and Teddy Suhren.

He was awarded the Uboot badge with diamonds on January 1st, 1942 (from wikipedia) or March, 1942 (from uboat.net).
                    A better photo of Suhren's medals and diamond badge.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Norm F; 06-14-2015, 05:14 PM.

Comment

The Schulze piece you can see in the Niemann price guide germany No.3 - Schwerin piece -

Comment

The Schulze piece you can see in the Niemann price guide germany No.3 - Schwerin piece -
                        This image from Niemann price guide 2005 edition shows both a Type 1 and a Type 2, but doesn't show the Schulze piece?

Best regards,
                        ---Norm
                        Attached Files

Comment

Price guide Niemann from 2008 ! There is the Schulze piece !

Comment

Price guide Niemann from 2008 ! There is the Schulze piece !
                            Can you post a scan of the 2008 price guide page?

John

Comment

The pricing is interesting and I would say the future will demonstrate that Stan made one of the best "investments" when he bought his example from Steve W.

I know that Stan is not in it for an investment, but once again, the highest quality examples will always find a market--now and in the future. The bottom may fall out for rusty low end zinc examples, but there will certainly be those that want to own a diamonds U-boat badge.

Whether or not the example will sell for $25,000 or not, I do not know, but "overpaying" for an example from a top end dealer certainly seems to depend on your holding time horizon.

If I could start all over, knowing what I know now (wishful thinking of course), I would have bought a diamonds U-boat badge somehow and nothing else. Well, I do not have the time horizon anymore nor the money, but I am just commenting on Stan's decisions to consistently concentrate on the rarest examples in this hobby. He has been proven correct.

John

Comment

I would also comment that before Torpedo Los was published and the follow on research on these U-boat diamonds badges on this forum by Norm and others, including myself, it did take a bit of faith to buy one.

I think at this moment in time, we have a solid understanding of what to look for, something that was not available before. I know of dealers and collectors that bought these "diamonds" badges from various sources and based on the evidence, they were fakes.

The study of the badge types in this thread is certainly worth its weight in diamonds.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 15 users online. 0 members and 15 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X