No announcement yet.

U-boat clasp - help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the use of the images provided by Chris, one can readily see the differences in the fake second pattern and a period example.

Close examination of the lettering, shape of the pin, catch, etc, will help collectors determine a period piece from a fake. The issue of course is that at a show, it is hard to do this without lugging around a computer and taking photos of the badge you are considering buying.

Far easier at home where, with the help of a basic photo program, you can do side by side comparisons.

The first pattern was not faked until recently to any great extent as far as I know but now we are seeing it pop up from time to time. Therefore, judgement of the first pattern, unless it is a crude fake, will require better images of greater clarity and detail. Just like all the other badges from the period it seems.

The fakers are doing better, but still, they are a long way from making them perfect in regards to KM badges.

John
    Last edited by John R.; 07-13-2012, 09:05 AM.

Comment

So Mike, for your first pattern posted we are not sure about it right now until you post much better images of the reverse, the letters, and the pin and catch.

John
      Last edited by John R.; 07-13-2012, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Thank you John,

I am pleased that my postings were of some use. They were taken very quickly with a basic camera so your adjustments to them are excellent

Looks like that second model clasp might have caught me me had I picked it up at a show or a fair. The bronze finish struck me as not quite right but sometimes when they have been polished they can tarnish up again like that over time.

I can however, see some of the differences. A good thread and I appreciate the input of all those who posted,

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X