U-boat clasp - help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-boat clasp - help please.

Hello everyone, I'm something of a newbie on this forum although I have to admit I've spent many, many happy hours reading through the numerous and informative threads.
    I've recently retired (through ill-health unfortunately) so you can imagaine I've got some time on hands, so I've been sorting out my militaria collection.This mainly consists of UK & US insignia WWII to present particularly airborne related. I've been collecting this stuff for over 40 years since I inherited my late uncle's badges (RSM of 3 Para during WWII). As I'm sure you can appreciate along the way I've picked up all sorts of militaria items that's not really in my field, but I've been glad to give them a good home!

So, to get to the point, I've had these two U boat clasps in my collection for some time now having purchased them as part of a job lot. I'm hoping that one or two of the experts on here will take pity of me and could give them the once over as I really haven't a clue and I'd like to know whether to file them under 'original' or 'duff'!
    Many thanks in advance
    Michael

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...4/DSCF3398.jpg

Hello Michael,

I am certainly not an expert but I can tell you that both your clasps are original.

The silver looking example is a hard to find first type made by Schwerin. Is it a silver one ? because they are a rare find in a first model and this one looks to be excellent condition. Very nice and worth good money even in a recession. ( of course it might be a mottled bronze one ?, still rarer than the second type )

The bronze one is a second type by Schwerin and is also in very nice condition. These always sell for a good "bob" or two these days.

You have a couple of good ones there. Hopefully we might get to see some more as you go through what sounds like an interesting accumulation of items from over the years,

Chris
    Last edited by 90th Light; 07-12-2012, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Hi Michael,

For me, the Bronze 2nd pattern is a decent reproduction but with incorrect basemetal, maker's mark and some weak obverse detail.

The 1st pattern Silver is a bit harder. It looks OK at first glance. The hinge/main pin look OK (a pic of the main pin closed would be useful) but the catch looks incorrect. The maker mark has the correct form but also looks weak. Hard to say if this is an original or a good casting.

Regards
      Mike
      Regards
      Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

The second pattern is a clear fake. The first pattern is a possible fake IMO. However, you need to post better images of the letters on the reverse of the first pattern and also a shot with the pin down.

Here is a thread on first pattern clasps:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ttern+schwerin

John
        Last edited by John R.; 07-12-2012, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Clasps

I would agree that the first clasp shown which is a 2nd pattern is not a good one. The second clasp shown which is supposed to be a 1st pattern I am not versed in so I stay on the sidelines. If both came from the same source I would seek more opinions.

Steve

Comment

Very interesting thread, appreciate the opinions of those who know their stuff re KM badges.

Comment

Well, expert about the U-Boat clasp I am happy to say that I am not for sure . In fact did I not say that

But..........get my badges directly from the Germans who wore them in their "Iron Coffins" . This has happened several times in my years as a collector .

What I have pictured below are the badges of one U-Boot veteran, We see his first type by Schwerin in bronze. This was the badge he was presented with. There is a reason however why he gave up wearing it.

His two second types in bronze. One of these he wore extensively on his battle dress in the U-boat which he served. The other type two was on his walking out uniform.

His silver clasp he got in 1945 and never had much time to wear it.

Here we see quite clearly, the differences between an original Schwerin type one and original Schwerin type two,

Chris
              Attached Files
              Last edited by 90th Light; 07-13-2012, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Attached Files
                Last edited by John R.; 07-13-2012, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Attached Files
                  Last edited by John R.; 07-13-2012, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Attached Files
                    Last edited by John R.; 07-13-2012, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Attached Files
                      Last edited by John R.; 07-13-2012, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Attached Files
                        Last edited by John R.; 07-13-2012, 08:34 AM.

Comment

I look forward to any other original U-Boat clasps that other members might be able to show images of on this thread,

Chris

esp. my good friends in Aussie who I know are holding out on this one

Comment

Chris,

Outstanding grouping and very valuable, not only from a financial point of view, but for the ability of fellow collectors to compare their clasps with those which you have posted.

I have taken the liberty to edit and re-size your posts so that the details of the clasps can be better studied by other members here.

Thanks for posting these examples, it is a welcome addition to the database.

John

Comment

Great grouping and clasps Chris
                              And John good work with the pictures

Andy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X