mysterious new 1st pattern S-Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys,

Interesting badge and a new one for me as well. The obverse design reminds me of the S&L 1st pattern badges, and the reverse profile also matches closely with the S&L badges. The reverse hardware looks very good and believable to me, and matches well with Juncker badges, as well as S&L badges.

The reverse edges look a bit soft at first glance, but not too bad given that its a zinc badge and consistent with other zinc-based Juncker products IMO.

Looks believable to me, and I think Juncker is a very good candidate. Good eye Norm

Tom
    If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
    [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Here are a couple of photos taken in bad lighting by the worst photographer here.
      Attached Files

Comment

The measurements are:
        Weight: 27.82 g
        Height: 56.04 mm
        Width: 43.85

These are virtually the same as the "Unknown" S-Boat, which are:
        Weight: 25.5 g
        Height: 56.3 mm
        Width: 43.8 mm

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
          The measurements are:
          Weight: 27.82 g
          Height: 56.04 mm
          Width: 43.85

These are virtually the same as the "Unknown" S-Boat, which are:
          Weight: 25.5 g
          Height: 56.3 mm
          Width: 43.8 mm
          Hi Gentry,

By "unknown S-Boat" I assume you mean the one on page 622 of "The Kriegsmarine Awards"? (I've attached another example of that one here.) The dimensions of that one are actually a bit different and the weight heavier on other examples, so I don't really see any basis of comparison between the "unknown" S-Boat and your "Junker-style" zincer.

I still don't see any red flags on yours. Any chance for sharper photos of the catch and the hinge from the side?

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi, Norm,
            Actually, the "unknown" I was referring to was the one from the article Jody and I wrote in IMC on the S-Boat badges. Sorry.
            I will try again in a few minutes to have better photos.
            Best,
            Gentry

Comment

Hinge
              Attached Files

Comment

Catch
                Attached Files

Comment

Looking at the wear patterns on the pin in regards to where it slides into the catch, I see no issues with this example either.

John

Comment

Again, I sincerely apologize for the photo quality (especially when compared to Norm's!), but here's a comparison showing the different reverse on the two badges.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                      Looking at the wear patterns on the pin in regards to where it slides into the catch, I see no issues with this example either.

John

and notice the similarity in the toolmarks on the top of the mainpin with this S-Boat badge and the zinc Juncker Destroyer that Norm posted.

Regards,Martin.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here's the S-Boat tool mark compared with a Juncker BKA.

Best regards,
                        ---Norm
                        Attached Files

Comment

Is what we are seeing sufficient to say this is, in fact, most likely a Juncker badge (as Norm first thought)?

Comment

Hi guys,

Gentry, thanks for the new pics. The tool marks at the top of the pin really seal it for me as being a Juncker product. The milled, brass hinge with all its little fine straitions is also typical of Juncker badges. The zinc base metal also looks correct and acceptable IMO. I like it.

Tom
                            If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
                            [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                            Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Glad to see Juncker KM awards family growing year by year
                              Cheers,
                              Hubert

Comment

Thanks, guys, for all the "extra eyes" (and especially to Norm for spotting it n the first place)!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X