Opinions needed on U Boat Badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions needed on U Boat Badges

I would be grateful for opinions on these two U Boat Badges. The pin assembly seems suspect on the first one, but I do not have much knowledge of these. I attach some pics.
    Thanks,
    Peter.
    Attached Files

Pics of the second Badge.
    Attached Files

Comment

I don't think, that the first badge is a good one since (e.g.) the needle system looks strange...

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris, I thought that.
        Peter.

Comment

Gents,
          The first tombak u-boat might be very rare Deumer in superb condition, looks perfect and beautifull but to be 100% sure better obverse image would be nice to see.
          I enclose reverse shot of my Deumer for comparison.
          Cheers,
          Hubert
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BubbaZ; 01-20-2012, 07:49 PM.

Comment

@ Hubert,
            Maybe it’s because of the angle of Peter’s picture. But what catches my eye is the “unclear” shape, especially of the flag and the turret (pls find red circle mark). Could it be a just an optical illusion or some technical reasons in production of this badge?
            Cheers,
            Chris
            Attached Files

Comment

thanks Hubert and Chris I will try and get another shot of the obverse, but might not be able to.
              Thanks,
              Peter.

Comment

Chris,
                I think it only looks odd as the picture is taken from an angle.
                I enclose obverse images of my Deumer. I will try do take my pics this weekend as these come from the previous owner and are not very good.
                Cheers,
                Hubert
                Attached Files

Comment

Here is another early tombak Deumer from Weitze. This one features classic Deumer reverse hardware.
                  Cheers,
                  Hubert
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
                    Chris,
                    I think it only looks odd as the picture is taken from an angle.
                    I enclose obverse images of my Deumer. I will try do take my pics this weekend as these come from the previous owner and are not very good.
                    Cheers,
                    Hubert
                    Gorgeous badge!

Comment

I agree, the first one has a pretty good chance of being an uncommon original but for me the second one is an out-and-out fake - detail, hardwaare and finish imo are just "wrong".

Regards
                      Mike
                      Regards
                      Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

I also agree.

Hubert's observation as to the 1st badge being an original tombak Deumer is correct IMO.

I also agree with Mike that the second badge is a probable fake,i just do not recall seeing this set up on an original badge before.

Better pictures would help in both cases i think.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I have serious concerns about the "Deumer". I think it might be an excellent (and disturbing) copy.

The finish and texture seem different from other examples (although admittedly this is difficult to judge from photographs under different lighting and photo conditions).

But more concerning, every other of the generally accepted Deumers I've seen, regardless of the reverse setup, have identical internal cutouts. When you compare the one Peter posted, however, you can see obvious differences in the cutout under the sub and the size of the flag, etc.

We know that this design was already faked previously with different setups and spurious Schwerin marks. More recently the Tombak Deumers have gotten a fair bit of "press" on the forums as rare and desirable so I wouldn't be surprised if the Hero or someone else saw an opportunity for profit with a better copy.

Best regards,
                          ---Norm

Best regards,
                          ---Norm
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Norm,

I'm not going to argue strongly either way for the badge in question however, regarding cutouts, there are quite a few differences subtle between the middle and right examples as well. The one at the top of the thread (left in the above comparison) shows evidence of hand filing in at least 2 places, so hand finishing may be muddying the comparison.

Regards
                            Mike
                            Regards
                            Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Hi Mike,

No argument...just discussion.

While I agree that hand finishing makes a difference in outlines for various makers' products (notably the Berlin makers Juncker, Meybauer, Beco and also P&L in Pforzheim and the unknown flatbacks) there's no precedent for variable outlines in Deumer KM badges - nor in the other Lüdenscheid U-boat makers.

Every example was trimmed with the same stamp as far as I can see. (Two more examples for comparison.) While the badge at the top of the thread could have been a "one off" I suppose, we just don't have a precedent of such behaviour from Deumer, and when spending hard earned money I think that's enough reason to avoid it for now.

Best regards,
                              ---Norm
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X