No announcement yet.

U-Boat Badge ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

obverse comparison. Identical obverse designs. Geez, maybe they're all Souval?!
    Attached Files

Comment

And of course there's this version with classic Souval post-war hardware without the cutout under the sub and internal contours very reminiscent of the "flatbacks". I wonder if we're just seeing all variations on the same theme...
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
        I wonder if we're just seeing all variations on the same theme...
        Hi Norm are you suggesting that flatbacks have something to do with postwar Souval activities?
        Connection for U-boats seems clear but for other KM and Heer awards not so noticable if any except of similiar reverse setups (commonly used by various makers)?

I also enclose comparison of stiriation, Kondor's u-boat vs flatback Minesweeper. They are so close that seem to be done with use of the same tools.

Cheers,
        Hubert
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
          Hi Norm are you suggesting that flatbacks have something to do with postwar Souval activities?
          Well, quite probably they're both post-war production anyway. Any other connection, who knows? We've often commented that the flatbacks all exhibit the Pforzheim obverse designs, but so did Souval who very likely got his tooling from the same source as the Liefergemeinschaft Pforzheim.

Anyway, I agree completely about the saw marks being very similar, but at the same time the hinge and the general contours of the cutouts are more Souval-like, so Kondor's badge doesn't clearly fit into either category. That's why one has to consider at least the remote possibility that these are three badges on the same continuum. Unfortunately, we can't be definitive other than to say these are likely all post-war products sought by veterans as replacements or for the souvenir market.

Best regards,
          ---Norm

Comment

Hi Norm,

Thanks for all of the information, whether it is an unknown flat back or a Souval, it came from him and for me, that's what is important. The only anti-partisan badges I have, came directly from the vet. While everything else is period, I knew immediately that the badges were bad, but I still have them displayed with everything else that he gave me

Comment

Originally posted by Kondor View Post
              Hi Norm,

Thanks for all of the information, whether it is an unknown flat back or a Souval, it came from him and for me, that's what is important. The only anti-partisan badges I have, came directly from the vet. While everything else is period, I knew immediately that the badges were bad, but I still have them displayed with everything else that he gave me
              Hi Kondor,

I agree completely. A badge acquired by a vet as a replacement for one lost has special meaning in a grouping. In 1989 my Dad travelled to Regensburg, went to an antique dealer and bought a Deumer KVK2 and a Deschler KVK1 to replace his own. Since he chose them and handled them they have more meaning to me than the EK2, Minesweepers and other badges and insignia I've collected that relate to his military service.

Cheers.
              ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Kondor View Post
                Hi Norm,

I agree with what you have said.

John

Comment

Interesting case for the Oaks.
                  Did you manage to see what the maker of the RK was?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X