U-Boat Badge ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-Boat Badge ID

I figured since I have the time and was shooting some eagles for another thread, I would also take a shot of Kapitan K-F Merten's (u-68)"Patrol Badge" as he called it. He dug it out of his "goody" box and had it wrapped in a cellophane jacket with his hand written U-68 on it.

Needless to say, it is a zincer with most of the wash gone. Thin pin on the reverse and no maker mark of any kind. Thin pin and C catch to it. I know, show the back, but I have it mounted and am too busy/lazy (you pick) to take it off and shoot the back. Just wondering if you can tell who made it, so I can annotate it for my records.

Thanks!!
    Attached Files

Here is the cellophane he had it wrapped in and then gave it to me with the sentiment "why do I need that one when I have this one!" He then proceeded to pull out the cased U-Boat Badge with Diamonds. Truly a remarkable badge.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Kondor,

Interesting that the time of U-boat service on the description dates back to the earliest zinc production.

Too bad the head's cut off in the photo. That obverse design and rudder detail was used by three producers: Souval, Wiedmann and the Unknown flatback maker, and it doesn't look classic for any particular one within these three...

I think you're stuck without an answer unless you can show the whole badge and the reverse.

Best regards,
      ---Norm

Comment

New Photos

OK Norm,

As Promised! Here are better frontal shots and also the reverse. Hoping that this helps for ID.

Thanks!
        Attached Files

Comment

Side Shots with and without flash.
          Attached Files

Comment

I would vote for flatback with replaced catch.
            Cheers,
            Hubert

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
              I would vote for flatback with replaced catch.
              Cheers,
              Hubert
              I agree with Hubert. Looks like a zinc flatback with replaced catch and maybe even the hinge. You can see the obvious characteristic irregular striations on the inner margins from hand sawing. Certainly not what you'd associate with a 1941-42 award piece. I would guess this must have been a replacement badge at a later time. Is Kapitän Merten's career known? Was he captured at the end of the war or in any circumstance where he would have had his awards taken away from him? (My Dad had all his awards confiscated at the end of the war.)

Best regards,
              ---Norm

Comment

He was captured at the end of the war by the Americans down in Bavaria. I know that his dagger was taken by a GI. But he still had his U-Boat Badge with Diamonds and his large award documents for the RK and Oak Leaves. Also kept his RK & Oakleaves out of the hands of the GI's.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kondor View Post
                  He was captured at the end of the war by the Americans down in Bavaria. I know that his dagger was taken by a GI. But he still had his U-Boat Badge with Diamonds and his large award documents for the RK and Oak Leaves. Also kept his RK & Oakleaves out of the hands of the GI's.
                  Very interesting. I would bet his high end awards were back home for safe keeping while his regular U-boat badge was taken away by the Americans. (That's the only reason I still have my Dad's EK2 award document.)

Best regards,
                  ---Norm

Comment

Thanks for your help Norm!

His home was in the east. His dad was a Mayor of the town. He picked up his large document during a stop over at the Fuhrer Bunker in Berlin. He described a room with these piled high for formal presentation after the war was won.

Comment

Just occurred to me, another distinct possibility for this badge is a post-war Souval. Souval and the flatback maker used the same obverse design but the square-cornered hinge flanges on that badge or more consistent with a post-war Souval. You can see examples of this in these two threads:
                      UBOAT badge for review
                      U-boot Badges

That actually makes a lot more sense since Souval continued on in business and was a logical source from which a veteran could acquire a replacement badge.

Best regards,
                      ---Norm

Comment

Thanks Kondor, it was great to see this wonderful group with the shots of the recipient.

Very nice.

Regards
                        JustinG

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                          You can see the obvious characteristic irregular striations on the inner margins from hand sawing.
                          Norm, I would not expect to see such striations on any of RS badges, wartime or postwar. On the other hand this is typical for flat-backs.

Cheers,
                          Hubert

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
                            Norm, I would not expect to see such striations on any of RS badges, wartime or postwar. On the other hand this is typical for flat-backs.

Cheers,
                            Hubert
                            Hi Hubert,

I agree the striations are suggestive of flat backs, but the setup is more like the post-war Souvals, and the Souvals also have variable hand finishing so that could also have generated some striations?

Here are the two setups of the flatbacks and below that are two post-war Souvals. Which looks closer to Kondor's badge in your opinion?

Best regards,
                            ---Norm
                            Attached Files

Comment

Comparison of reverses. Flatback, Kondor's badge, Souval. All show different hand finishing. (Too bad the forum settings reduce the size of the photos.)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X