Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 718design View Post
    The weight of my piece is 41.8 grams.
    Dimensions are as follows: Please see pics of where I measured.
    Top to Bottom : approx. 59 mm
    Side to Side : approx. 51 mm
    Thickness : approx. 3 mm
    Hi Jan,

Thanks for the high quality photos, but I'm actually more concerned now.

I'm not keen on the colour and texture of the base metal on the reverse.

I think your badge height is underestimated a bit since you measured from the central wreath whereas it's more conventional to measure a badge's overall greatest height, but nevertheless the width seems a bit small while the weight is high.

Also, that excellent closeup of the swastika edge shows a very concerning feature -- an indented groove. While a one-sided ridge could be expected in a struck badge, that indented groove couldn't possibly result from die striking and I suspect could only come from a casting process.

Having said that perhaps Hubert could look very closely on his Souval in that same region and tell us what he sees there.

So far, my overall impression is a very high quality cast reproduction of a Viennese Souval with Lüdenscheid-like hardware applied and a spurious Berlin maker mark -- certainly covers a lot of geography!

Originally posted by 718design View Post
    As far as fakes are concerned. I a fake S-Boat badge, and this one that I am posting looks nothing like it. It is thicker and wider, not to mention the details are much more pronounced. Also, the fake is quite bendable, this one is not.

And the fact that it looks much better than a worse, bendable S-Boat repro, unfortunately doesn't prove this one to be real...only that it's much better made. And it really is well made...frighteningly so. Why someone would choose to go to all that effort and then add a maker mark so obviously wrong is hard to understand.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Comment

Great additional pics but unfortunately they prove what I suspected earlier - te badge is a cast repro.

Sorry, but the following feature, a raised line on the edge of the badge, is a casting line - NO other way to explain it. It is NOT possible to produce this feature by die striking or trimming.

Regards
      Mike
      Attached Files
      Regards
      Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Hi again,
        My badge weights 42,8 g so it is a bit heavier than Jan's s-boot.
        I searched all edges of my badge very carefully and noticed completely nothing even close to these raised lines pointed out by Mike and Norm.

I also came across detailed pictures of early postwar double marked Souval which was offered to me some time before - and see no raised lines at all there as well (pics enclosed).

Cheers,
        Hubert
        Attached Files

Comment

And here is a closeup of edges in certain areas of my RS - no raised lines.
          Cheers,
          Hubert
          Attached Files

Comment

oh that JMME is a repro from the PA mafia, don't waste your money

Comment

Originally posted by John T View Post
              oh that JMME is a repro from the PA mafia, don't waste your money
              Hi John,

Could you elucidate the meaning of "PA Mafia"?

Cheers.
              ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
                And here is a closeup of edges in certain areas of my RS - no raised lines.
                Cheers,
                Hubert
                Hi Hubert,

Thanks for those comparisons.
                I believe the jury is in, and the verdict is not good. Now if we could only figure out what "PA Mafia" means...

Best regards,
                ---Norm

Comment

Hi , Thank You guys for help!
                  Regards
                  Jan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X