Aux Cruiser-GWL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry 'bout that!

What I am referring to is the way the pin actually attaches over the hinge/into the hinge. My experience is that 95%+ of the badges we see with this hinge/pin over the top are repro. Especially combined with that ugly hinge attachment to the badge.
    "Coke Bottle" pins are legit, WW2 production, but they all (varying by maker) attach <i>much</i> differently to the hinge and badge!

Originally posted by Lorenzo Brown
    Hi Rick. Are you referring to ALL "coke-bottle" type pins?...or just the exact type as shown on this "GWL"?

Comment

... having read further.....

... I see serious differences in the badges Frank has shown and the hinge plate on the badge that started the thread. I still do not like this type of attachment.... I understand and respect Frank & Lorenzo's research and experience, but for myself, having seen literally hundreds of badges with that "over the top" type pin/hinge, I will always shy away from this style. I will also state that it seems to be extremely prevelent on fake panzer/panzer mit Einsatzzahl badges.
      These will never be a style I am personally happy with, but that's my limitation as a collector and as a dealer, I would never offer this type of piece, but again, that's my personal choice. I would be very hard pressed unless the piece came direct from a family, or a vet's family who scarfed it during the war...

I think that collector's who are willing to walk down this path should be very, very cautious... there are obvious real badges, but thou shouldst know thine quest before traveling.....

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Versailles
        ... but thou shouldst know thine quest before traveling.....
        AMEN to that, Brother Rick.
        Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

I see nothing wrong with the Foerster & Barth type pin/hinge. Here is a L/21 marked minesweeper. The catch has been replaced.

Ed Maroli
          Attached Files

Comment

...and because it is so much fun each time I do this, one more time the L/21 (Foerster & Barth) GAB.
            Attached Files
            Cheers, Frank

Comment

reverse
              Attached Files
              Cheers, Frank

Comment

Interestingly, it looks as if I have found the exact badge setup with the same rivit type on an unmarked Aux cruiser being sold on the Jamie Cross website. Not sure if posting a link would violate a rule here so I won't, but it looks the same to me except the ship has been coppered to make it stand out.

Last, I have posted many badges over the past few days and the help and education I received has been outstanding. I can't list each person individually but you know who you are and I thank you very much for your comments, opinions, pics and politeness in your responses.
                Have a few more badges to put up for view and will do so when I can. Again, great site and great people.
                Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X