Schwerin HSF Type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

One point I forgot to mention re the apparent large numbers available, it sometimes seems that way when you look at some of the big dealer websites (Weitze, Winkler, etc). Following the on-line auction sites though and looking at "smaller" dealer sites, I think that the numbers of genuine badges for sale/auction are fairly proportional to likely award/manufacturer numbers - ie always lots of IABs, GABs and Wound Badges, relatively fewer PABs compared to IABs and in general relatively few LW and KM awards compared to Heer. Always more Minesweepers compared to any other KM badge (but REALLY nice looking Minesweeper Badges are not easy to find!).

Regards
    Mike K
    Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Slightly better photo of the early HSF showing the recess.

Regards
      Rob
      Attached Files
      Regards, Rob
      Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Some numbers to consider. All of these ships were active in the period when the Tombak HSF badge was produced, and would have easily qualified for the twelve week "stint" including retrospective service.

Bismarck class, two at 2,200 crew each

Scharnhorst class, two at 1,950 each

Admiral Hipper Class, three at 1,600 each

Deutschland class, three at 1,100 each

Light Cruisers two at 800 each , three at 600 each

Schlesien class, two at 800 each

So, around 21,500 men would have qualified either at or around the time the badge was introduced. As the war went on and Germany lost more ships . -which were not replaced- the numbers newly qualifying for the HSF badge would reduce, even allowing for personnel moves. It is therefore quite logical that you would see a preponderance of Tombak HSF badges. The Zinkers may in fact be rarer than the Tombak ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Williamson
          So, around 21,500 men would have qualified either at or around the time the badge was introduced.
          And just imagin all, or quite a lot of them, owning a spare to wear on their parade uniform

KR
          Philippe

Comment

Zincers Rarer

From my experience Gordon is correct in that Schwerin Zinc HSF are much harder to find than the tombak ones although they are not as popular/expensive.

Rob
            Regards, Rob
            Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Also, One could take Gordon's numbers and subtract the numbers for sunken ships. My friend's father was lost on Scharnhorst, as were his decoration. On the HSF he received it postthumously, however the wife only received a Urkunde, no badge. Lost was his EK2, KVK2X, and Blockade. How amny went down to the bottom of those issued.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X