RSS High Seas Fleet Badge

Hi guys, whats the opinions on this badge, all comments appreciated,
    Many thanks in advance,
    Regards,
    Tintin.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

looks to be an original badge but i have never seen one by this maker with a finish like that. I think its been refinished.

Comment

agree with patrick original badge but gilt looks a little to new.

Comment

I've been puzzling over the finish too and I'm on the fence. So pristine it had me worried, although the badge seems bang on in every other respect.

Here's the link to John's previous thread on these with some nice examples.

If it's refinished it's done remarkably well in what seems the proper style of silvering/darkening the back first followed by gilding the obverse with a tad of overflow.

Could it be that it's original and I just haven't seen one so pristine before? I'm getting paranoid over badges that look this good!

Best regards,
          ---Norm

Comment

It's a beautiful badge with textbook hardware but I am also concerned about the finish that looks too pristine. One major giveaway to me is that the "ball-hinge" and "flat-wire" catch are both finished. All the RSS HSFs I've seen have these un-finished in natural brass. I believe these badges were finished prior to the final catch and hinge assemblies.
            Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

It looks that all badges from this dealer has a defect, but this is a nice one even if refinished.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubisz View Post
                It looks that all badges from this dealer has a defect, but this is a nice one even if refinished.
                Which dealer is that?

Regards,
                ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                  Which dealer is that?

Regards,
                  ---Norm
                  I don't know, just Tintin posted several badges today and all have problems with the finish.

Comment

Here's one from DN with an almost similar finish but not quite.

The badge in question looks to good to be true.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Anubisz View Post
                      I don't know, just Tintin posted several badges today and all have problems with the finish.
                      Checked the threads and can see what you mean Some foul play going on here.

Comment

Hey yeah, it's odd. A slew of minty items of various types.
                        What's the story behind these, tintin?

Regards,
                        ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by nachtundnebel View Post
                          Checked the threads and can see what you mean Some foul play going on here.
                          http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=449292

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=449294

Comment

hsf

Hi guys, there's nothing odd going on i'm afraid, all these badges have been bought from different dealers over a number of years and are in my collection. Just thought i'd post them to get some opinions? I prefer to get better examples if I can. Sorry there's no production line going on re finishing badges.
                            Regards,
                            Tintin

Comment

Maybe its just the photo thats giving that impression. From my experience the finish on these is not a 'grainy sparkly fire gilding' like you find on tombak schwerins but more of a subdued matt gold finish often found on the later zinc badges.

Here is a photo of an unworn posthumous award, again with an unfinished hinge and hook

Having said that I can not quite get my head around how they can crimp in the hinge and hook without any tell tale signs on the finish, although they have clearly done this.

As a further note there are some badges that can be found with finished and unfinished fittings and swastika, the unqualified air gunner by deumer for example although this is a very late war produced badge
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by rhudspith; 07-20-2010, 06:20 AM.
                              Regards, Rob
                              Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X