• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about von Schroeder's badge?

You don't buy the von Schroeder story? Posted by Bill Stump here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...?threadid=5574

Dave

Comment

Yes, I believe his story, but what exactly was he saying here? He mentions a copy of a badge he kept at "home". Kept at home when? After the war or during the war? Was the copy badge captured in 1945? He doesn't exactly appear to say so. He describes his capture, which sounds like it happened when he was not at home, but enroute somewhere in France. Would he have had his "home" copy with him at that time? I'm not disbelieving anyone, just trying to be specific. Remember, all this happened 50 years ago and it's still possible the propless badge was a post war copy he acquired. ???????? I think even Stephen published some notations in his book with the photo to the effect that this badge appeared to have some features not normally found on u-boat badges. That tells me that even HE may have had some questions about the badge when he included it. (Maybe I am being WAY to cynical here, but I am playing devil's advocate. This type of badge has been regarded as fake for so long by so many.....)

"he described one as the copy he kept at home and one he wore to sea (as I remember the exchange, it is on tape right now somewhere as I copied my notes from recordings) But he said that these were his original badges and that he was captured by the French. He was warned by another person just before going into French captivity that the French would go through his things and take anything they wanted. He handed off his awards to a fellow he knew that was a civilian in a town they were passing through."

Comment

MEMORIES CAN FOOL ANYONE

I am going to speculate, which I don't like to do when doing research, but memories can cause clouding of actual events. For some they can remember things that happen ten years ago clearer than they can of what happened only yesterday. Others are bless with a memory capacity that allows them to recall events that made an impression on their mind fifty years ago that enables the to remember in detail. I know from experience that my memory serve me quite well as I can recall things that happened clearly as far back as my fourth year of life. On the other hand, today, I lost my glasses and looked ten minutes for them when I realized I had pushed them up over my forehead and was wearing the dang things. What I am trying to point out is that the submarine badge the old gentleman had may have been one he picked up as a replacement after the war. To him if he things it was his badge from that period who are we to tell him it isn't? To him it is just a badge and he never thought about if the badge had a propeller or not. I am sure Steve wasn't going to refuse to photograph it because he felt it was different. If the old Gentleman is happy with it, that is all that matters. I am sure he could care less if a group of collectors thinks it is post or war time produced. Maybe it is a war time produced badge and maybe it isn't. It sure makes for an interesting thread and the hunt for the lost propeller can continue on.

Comment

A lot of information has surfaced since 2002 about this "propeller-less" type uboat badge and goes to show how information and opinions can change over time.
          Tim

One case in point:
          Attached Files
          Last edited by John R.; 06-06-2009, 05:02 PM.

Comment

I have a stupid question....why was the badge called the "cave creek" were they made in cave creek arizona, or is it a company called cave creek? I didnt get to read the thread explaining it. ? thanks. If its easier to post the link ill go read it there .

Comment

U-boat

Originally posted by juoneen View Post
              I have a stupid question....why was the badge called the "cave creek" were they made in cave creek arizona, or is it a company called cave creek? I didnt get to read the thread explaining it. ? thanks. If its easier to post the link ill go read it there .
              Hello,
              It is because there is a well known dealer in Cave Creek Arizona (still around) that sells these type of fakes. Since that time, any good fake KM badge is called a Cave Creek special.

Regards,
              Jody

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X