L/15 Otto Schickle Destroyer??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L/15 Otto Schickle Destroyer??

Anyone have samples of the Otto Schickle L/15 maker's mark?

Not the same hinge/pin setup that you see on the Minesweeper or U-boat badges. What do you think, possible?
    Tim
    Attached Files

I do not think one has ever shown up, however, here it is in the catalog for Schickle.

John
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi John,

Looks possible, would like to see the reverse. Any way we can see that catalog PIC larger?
      Tim

Comment

Must have picked a bad weekend to ask questions. Well Robot, maybe I am just not asking the right questions.

Okay, lets try this:

1) We have seen unmarked destroyers with this type of reverse hardware before; block hinge and thick round "C" catch. Were they ever attributed to other manufacturers?

2) Otto Schickle made other badges; do we have other examples of their maker's mark to compare what they used?

Let's see if that gets any responses.

Comment

Hi Tim,

I HAVE seen other Destroyer Badges with this hardware - the "flat"-based top hook and C-catch are distinctive, but I can't remember if they were maker marked. The hinge and pin suggest Mayer to me more than anyone else.

Regards
          Mike
          Regards
          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Hi Tim,

interesting Destroyer to say the least. How about some more pics?

The pin and hinge are similar to those one´s that can be found on known and makermarked Schickle Spanish Crosses.
            Regards
            Hans N

Don´t throw away your fake WB´s! Get in touch with me.
            I collect them for reference purposes for the benefit of the hobby (for the right "fake" price of course).

Comment

Well, I always believe in full disclosure, but the truth is I do not have the piece in hand yet and am still waiting confirmation on it. So, I rather not disclose too much information at this time. I've done this in the past only for another member here to come in and sideswipe my deal with a seller and take the item from me, more than once. SO, I learned the hard way to keep my mounth shut and only ask a few via PM. Just the way it is.

So, please be paitient.

Now, Mike brings up the point that interests me the most. I have not seen a Schickle mark like this one, on anything. Did they use a box around the L/15, a cartouche, plain L/15??? I just don't know.

IMO, the eagle resembles the Mayer style badge and as Mike stated, the hinge and pin do as well. So, is this a rare Schickle marked destroyer, or an unmarked destroyer with a spurious mark applied afterward? I may have to chance it to get it in hand and find out, but I would feel a lot better if I had more info to go on.

Thanks you two for participating. What ever happened to the discussion part of our discussion forum anyway??? Not many left I guess.
              Tim

Comment

Well, maybe a hint for you two.
                Tim
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Ball View Post
                  ....I have not seen a Schickle mark like this one, on anything. Did they use a box around the L/15, a cartouche, plain L/15??? ... .
                  Yes, they did - stamped, not raised. Pretty sure I've seen the same mark on EK1s as well.

From what I can see, the form of the L/15 differs between my WB and the Destroyer Badge though.

Regards
                  Mike
                  Attached Files
                  Regards
                  Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Mike,

Thanks! That is interesting and this might be worth getting it just to check it out close up. Two questions come to mind.

1) Would the marks necessarily be identical on two different style badges? Schwerin marks were all over the place with no continuity between badges at all. At least the two L/15 marks are both in boxes.

2) Any thoughts about the mark on the destroyer being upside down in relation to the pin setup? IMO, it should have been turned around.

Thanks for posting that wound badge!
                    Tim

Comment

Hi guys,

from my experiance with L/15 marked awards is that the makermark is placed in different places on each award. There are no repeating what so ever in the positioning and this goes for a wide range of awards such as WB´s, KVK´s, EK´s, Spanish crosses etc.

I have 3 makermarked Schickle awards in my collection so far and i´ll try and get some pics of the makermarks from them and post them here tomorrow - 2 WB´s and a KVK 1 class.
                      Regards
                      Hans N

I collect them for reference purposes for the benefit of the hobby (for the right "fake" price of course).

Comment

Thanks Hans!

FYI all, Gordon Williamson has looked at the badge PICS and thinks its the real deal with period mark. Hopefully I will have more info later tonight on if I am the lucky owner or not. Nice condition badge--Hopefully
                        Tim

Comment

Hi Tim,

here are some makermark pics as promised.
                          Attached Files
                          Regards
                          Hans N

Comment

next one
                            Attached Files
                            Regards
                            Hans N

Comment

Another one
                              Attached Files
                              Regards
                              Hans N

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X