Minesweeper opinions wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minesweeper opinions wanted

Ok once again I ask for your opinions. All is welcome! Original/FAKE ?
    Attached Files

One more:

Comment

Hi Hasse,

Good one IMO, can't see anything wrong with it but don't have a clue towards the maker. Most likely zink with very good finish. Nice guide lines arround the circular catch. Not something you see often.

KR
      Philippe

Comment

Originally posted by Philippe DB
        Hi Hasse,

Good one IMO, can't see anything wrong with it but don't have a clue towards the maker. Most likely zink with very good finish. Nice guide lines arround the circular catch. Not something you see often.

KR
        Philippe
        Damn Philippe your so fast! Going to be our next moderator?
        Your very helpfull and very good at this badges...
        Yes I think the finish is about 99% maybe 99.9^^
        And its quit heavy, I notice something else the reverse is not "flat" there is some kind of raisings or "bubbles" I dont know what you badges guys calls it.
        Any thoughts?

Comment

Hi hasse,

Your right thats called zink bubbling and something you will commonly encounter on zink badges and that is a very good indicator for original badges because not easy to fake IMO.

KR
          Philippe

Comment

anyone else?

Comment

I can only echo Philippes points.
              It would appear to be an original minesweeper. Pin hardware is what you would expect. Can´t place it to any maker.
              Only thing that I notice is that the gold appears to be very new and shiney for a zinc badge, although this might just be the photo.

Skip
              LOOKING FOR ALL ITEMS CONNECTED TO HERBERT SCHOB.

Comment

Originally posted by skip
                I can only echo Philippes points.
                It would appear to be an original minesweeper. Pin hardware is what you would expect. Can´t place it to any maker.
                Only thing that I notice is that the gold appears to be very new and shiney for a zinc badge, although this might just be the photo.

Skip
                Hi Skip and thanks for the reply. The photos was taken in electric light. The badge dont shine when I lock at it. Its more like a deep golden color.
                Ill try to get some photos in daylight. But its cloudy and raining today =/
                Anyone, no thoughts of the maker? Come on you badge guys!

Comment

I see the badge has some good points and a few questionable points.

Good points:
                  1) Well struck and nice general appearance
                  2) Tip of pin shows hand finishing marks
                  3) Pin appears to have been "crimped" or squeezed into place, commonly seen on real badges.
                  4) Appears to have "bubbling" of zinc
                  5) Guidelines around catch and hinge show good attention---however, these can also be seen on fakes.
                  6) catch appears to be period brass and shows slight concave on the top that is often seen on period pieces.

Questionable points
                  1) "Minty" finish on uncommon zinc badges have to make you wonder...is it "extremely rare" or "freshly made"? Would like to see another collector's example of this badge in authentic "worn" condition".

2) Reverse side of Spout appears strangely unfinished compared to the rest of the badge.

3)Would like to see a better side view of the pin to see if it has any "striations", "shear marks", "pinching" or other signs of fashioning that are often seen on period badges.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Lorenzo Brown; 10-02-2003, 08:15 AM.
                  Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Thank you for the input mr!
                    So what we got here is a good fake? or a good badge no?
                    Well here is some more pics:
                    Attached Files

Comment

And here is a better for the obverse:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Hasse. The scans of the pin are too blurry to see anything, so no additional help there.

However, the second close-up of the obverse shows that there was a misstrike when making the badge, clearly evident on the spout, wreath and Swaz. It is a rather strong misstrike, something not commonly seen on authentic badges. This also explains the strange finish I noted on the reverse.

This does not mean the badge is fake, but IMO it does add to the uncertainty. One must wonder if an authentic badgemaker would proceed to gilt, silver and solder the hinge and catch assemblies to a badge so obviously misstruck? Maybe...maybe not. Doublings and misstrikes do occur, but I would think that a zinc badge with an extensive misstrike like that would more likely have been caught by QC and thrown back into the kiln and re-melted rather than finished off and issued.

Fake or real? I can't say for sure and would have to defer to somebody who may own this type of badge.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Lorenzo Brown; 10-03-2003, 10:08 PM.
                        Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Thank you Lorenzo for this input. I will take better pics of the reverse and the pin.

But if this badge turns out to be a fake, then its really scary. For me anyway.
                          Im a uniform collector but have encounter some badges from time to time.
                          I have only bought or trade the ones with really good detailing guided with my "good" feeling...

But nowadays I think you need great knowledge before buying a badge.
                          Some of the fakes shown on this forum is to good to me.
                          A big thank for your reply Lorenzo very nice of you to point out what you mean with the arrows. It maket it aboslutly clear even for a badge imbecill.

Anyway I hope we got some more inputs to this thread. So we can clearly classify this one as fake or not. If it is a fake then you guys will encounter more then one like this. The fakers dont make only 1 example!

Comment

Here is some better pics of the pin. I hope they are good enough:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Kudos to you gentlemen. This is one of the most informative, detailed, and user friendly posts about providing evidence to support the authenticity of a badge. It is going right into my binder of "keepers."

Best regards,
                              Terrence

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X