Opinions Needed on U-Boot Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
    Here is a better shot of the catch on an unmarked Schwerin, does it match in size your catch?

John
    My catch compared to Huss's. His is bent over more but....
    Attached Files

Comment

One more for the hell of it.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Ron, thanks for the additional pics. While the obverse matches real good for Schwerin down to the flattened periscope and granular finish, the reverse hardware is not what I'm used to seeing. Anyway, maybe it is a Schwerin or maybe it is another maker. It is an original badge in nice condition, that is what is most important. best wishes,
        jeff
        Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Thanks Ron,

Well, here we are over 60 years later and truthfully, we do not have all the answers.

The other incongruity in your badge is that the pin finish matches the finish of the catch. Not seen in Schwerin Berlin U-boat badges--meaning yours is metallic in finish, not gold gilded.

OK, at this point I have given away everything I noticed when I first saw this badge. I just left a hint so others might contribute but now I have listed all that really jumps out at me.

It is not stamped so we are not 100% sure who made it, but the assembly methods are clearly, to me, period, meaning the attachment procedures at the hinge block and catch. These have not been faked to my knowledge.

It is also consistent that if the pin is short, the hinge is reversed, for period pieces and also simple mistakes from time to time. Your badge it was not a mistake, they reversed the hinge on purpose.

So it is a good badge I believe, no doubt. Who made it will probably have to stay unknown, at least to me since I do not know, since several companies copied the Schwerin design with their badges. Since they did not mark them, we do not know is it was S&L or who.

I would say it really does not matter who made your badge, but I fully understand the desire to find out.

I am not sure that is going to be possible.

Best wishes, John

Comment

Here we go again.Here is my banged-up,vaulted example,pretty similar to Ron's.Upside down hinge,silver pin,silver catch.Schwerin,S&L or ???.
            Attached Files

Comment

Obverse.
              Attached Files

Comment

Is there a known S&L U-boat (maker marked)?

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
                  Is there a known S&L U-boat (maker marked)?
                  Nope. Only a drawing in a catalog. best wishes,
                  jeff
                  Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff V View Post
                    Nope. Only a drawing in a catalog. best wishes,
                    jeff
                    I can remember a few Badges (one a U-Boat) with a maker number "4" on the reverse. Can't remember what the final call was on those.

Comment

It is my opinion that it is the same badge as Ron's due to the same logic. We do not know who made it, only that it is period, however, I would have to go with S&L as a guess based on the catalog drawing of the pin sticking down and the fact that it does not have the characteristics one would expect in a Schwerin. John

Comment

imo the badge is a Schwerin, my comments on another thread on the same subject

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258163
                        Regards, Rob
                        Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

I think Rob's second conclusion in his thread is correct, that Schwerin provided this badge to S&L but who knows. However, it could be the last unmarked Schwerin tombak badges in stock before they went to zinc and had used up their pins thereby requiring the borrowing of pins from a neighbor.

As I said, I do not think we will be able to pin this one down (no pun intended) at this stage.

What is important is that the badge is period, which it is.

John

Comment

I want to thank everyone for their input. This is what I love about this forum, honest discussions from knowledgable people. At the end of the day, I know I have an great period badge. All the best, Ron.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X