No announcement yet.

Opinions Needed on U-Boot Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Textbook later Schwerin tombak example - no problems!

Regards
    Mike
    Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Thanks guys, its a keeper. I got it from Tom Pasqueralle who always has nice stuff. Cheers, Ron.

Comment

Upside down hinge. Interesting. John
        Last edited by John R.; 02-10-2008, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Can you give us a straight on shot of the eagle and the catch.
          jeff
          Last edited by Jeff V; 02-10-2008, 09:44 PM.
          Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
            Upside down hinge. Interesting. John
            Detlev's price guide book "2" shows two examples of upside down hinges on page 753. Apparently not that uncommon. Ron.

Comment

The upside down hinge is not common, it is uncommon. However, you will encounter the hinge in this position on Schwerin Berlin U-boat badges from time to time.

Please do a search and you will find very few examples of the upside unhinge from this maker when compared to the hinges in the correct position.

When I see an upside down hinge, first, it is an anomoly and means further study. Usually there is a reason for this, it is not an accident my the manufacturer. The reason, in most cases, is that the pin is too short. However, the original issued Schwerin Berlin pin was not too short which leads to the need to study the pin on this example.

If you compare, through a careful search of all other unmarked SB U-boat badges in hand or in the files here, that your pin does not match. It is not the standard U-boat pin for this badge, it is a replacement pin if in fact this is a Schwerin badge.

This pin is not even close to a Schwerin pin, but to save you time, I have posted a recent example of an unmarked example so that you can compare. Since your pin is short, they had to rotate the hinge 180 degrees so that it would fit into the catch.

I would also like to see a straight shot of the catch to see more clearly the "C" design. The badge was braised or soldered, but I would like to see just good images of that catch to compare.

At this point, I am not sure it is Schwerin Berlin, however, it is period I believe. It might be a S&L, or a Schwerin Berlin, but different aspect images are needed of the eagle (straight on), the top wing (to better examine the burnishing), and the the catch. To me, the catch looks too big for this maker, but it might just be the angle of the image.

In regards to the top wing, look at the badge below. This is what it is supposed to look like, beautiful tombak gilding on the badge with highly polished (burnished) top wing.

My feeling is further research is necessary.

John
              Attached Files
              Last edited by John R.; 02-11-2008, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Reverse
                Attached Files

Comment

Here is a better shot of the catch on an unmarked Schwerin, does it match in size your catch?

John
                  Attached Files

Comment

Since I have a bit of time on my hands this morning, Thomas Huss has for sale this perfectly good unmarked Schwerin Berlin example. Compare it with yours.

John
                    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I agree with John's analysis. Also, the badge does not have the typical Schwerin round head or waffle head hinge pin. For me this is an original badge, perhaps by S&L or an unknown maker. best wishes,
                              jeff
                              Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                                Since I have a bit of time on my hands this morning, Thomas Huss has for sale this perfectly good unmarked Schwerin Berlin example. Compare it with yours.

John
                                Hi John. Here is a shot of my eagle to compare with Huss's. What do you think? (Or anyone else for that matter.) They look pretty close to me. Regards, Ron.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                                X