Schwerin Repros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schwerin Repros

The object of this thead is to image the recent series of good quality Schwerin KM Badge reproductions side-by-side with original examples.

The repros, sometimes referred to as "Cave Creek Specials" (derived from one of their main points of sale in the USA) are known and easily detected by most long term KM collectors but still continue to fool and deceive newer collectors. They have been in circulation since approximately the mid to late 90s.

The basemetal quality of these repros is fairly good as they attempt to reproduce Schwerin tombak versions. The hardware is close, but not exact, and the main pin is relatively easy to bend out of shape at the hinge. Note that the dome-headed hinge pin tends to have a much larger dome than used on original examples. The finish on all of these earlier generation repros are incorrect.

The aim here is not for me to point out all the bad points for each of the repros, although if you concentrate on the finish, hardware and maker marks (even if some are not fully visible in scans) you will go a long way to quickly figuring out bad from good. I hope this is used more as a learning exercise, whereby the user does their own compare and contrast. To this end, I have always found examining the reverse profile of any badge very useful. Although the pics have had to be reduced to stay within forum limits, there are still many easy give-aways to obverse, even for the "simpler" designs like the Minesweeper, Coastal Artillery and Destroyer Badges.

Regards
    Mike

PS: I'd like to thank Rob Hudspith, Tony (entasis) and Jimmy for sharing some of their images.

PPS: At some stage I will add a U-boat Combat Clasp comparison. The Spanges were, of course, also reproduced
    Last edited by Mike Kenny; 09-27-2007, 10:47 AM.
    Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

In all of the following pics, the reproductions are on the LEFT of the comparison.

First up, the Auxilliary Cruiser.

Obverse...
    Attached Files
    Regards
    Mike

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Auxilliary Cruiser Reverse...
      Attached Files
      Regards
      Mike

Comment

Blockade Breaker Badge.

Obverse....
        Attached Files
        Regards
        Mike

Comment

Blockade Breaker Badge.

Flat-back version Reverse comparison...
          Attached Files
          Regards
          Mike

Comment

Blockade Breaker Badge.

Dished-back version Reverse comparison (genuine tombak example used)...
            Attached Files
            Regards
            Mike

Comment

Coastal Artillery Badge.

Obverse...
              Attached Files
              Regards
              Mike

Comment

Coastal Artillery Badge.

Much easier to ID this repro from the Reverse hardware and maker mark...
                Attached Files
                Regards
                Mike

Comment

Destroyer Badge

Obverse...
                  Attached Files
                  Regards
                  Mike

Comment

Destroyer Badge

Reverse - again much easier to ID the repro from this side...
                    Attached Files
                    Regards
                    Mike

Comment

High Seas Fleet.

First two comparisons are against an early genuine tombak example with 5 fully formed bridge windows. Yes, the repro is the classic "4-bridge window" fake (the left bridge window is missing or very poorly formed on the repro).

Obverse....
                      Attached Files
                      Regards
                      Mike

Comment

High Seas Fleet Badge

Reverse, compared to an early tombak example..
                        Attached Files
                        Regards
                        Mike

Comment

High Seas Fleet Badge

This second set of images compares the 4-bridge window repro to a GENUINE "mid" production tombak example with a very weak left bridge window. Fyi, the particular genuine example shown is very heavily worn, with almost none of the original fire-gilt finish remaining.

Obverse....
                          Attached Files
                          Regards
                          Mike

Comment

High Seas Fleet Badge

Note that the "4-bridge window" repro has been improved (not imaged though) but still fails in many areas when compared to an original.

Reverse
                            Attached Files
                            Regards
                            Mike

Comment

Minesweeper Badge

Another relatively simple obverse design. This repro is harder to pick, and best picked from the reverse.

Note that the genuine example here has been slightly to moderately hand vaulted.

Obverse...
                              Attached Files
                              Regards
                              Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X