GWL U-boat opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

John, yes, the weak keel is one of my concerns. Finish and basemetal are also of some concern. Possible casting line remnants may be present in hard to see areas. My trouble is I don't have physical access to a genuine GWL for direct comparison - hence only suspicions.

A composite image of some edge shots is attached. Hopefully you can figure out the orientations.

Note that the first two images are scans. None of the other pics were taken using a flash but my camera lighting skills are zero - some pics were "lightened" digitally.

Regards
    Mike
    Attached Files
    Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Hi Mike now that is a red flag, and Combined with the colouration, look of the keel, etc. Another point i had noticed is the righthand wing tip as viewing looks slightly different to that of originals. Always hard going of pics but this could be a very good fake not saying it is, but not txt book GWL. Lets see what others make of it.All the best.
      Last edited by mrg; 07-24-2007, 09:35 AM.

Comment

My feeling right now is that the GWL sub badge is one to be quite cautious about before you purchase one.

Here is what I think you should look for:

1. Nothing out of the ordinary, like a de-nazified badge or missing reverse hardware.

2. No pitting in the hull of the submarine.

3. Defined eagle, the GWL is one of the nicest and the features should be clear, not worn.

4. Some finish remaining in the condition typical of these badges.

5. No badges with perfect finish or "mint" condition as this badge just did not hold up over time for the most part. Some exceptions, not many.

6. All features of the submarine are correct, nothing uneven or broken off, like the gun.

If the badge does not have at least these features, maybe some more you can think of, then forget it and move on. Too dangerous.

I have attached a badge that meets these requirements and reflects what I am talking about.

John
        Attached Files

Comment

reverse GWL
          Attached Files

Comment

hi mike ive just sold 1 identical to that but with a swastika. that looks ok to me and the one i had lost all the gold wash completely...............andy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X