GWL U-boat opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GWL U-boat opinions please

Below are pics of a de-nazified GWL U-boat Badge. 39.2 x 48.8 mm, 17.06 g. Main pin is steel (magnetic). I see some good points and some bad points, giving me the suspicion it may be one of the good repros. What are other's thoughts please?

Regards
    Mike
    Attached Files
    Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Reverse...
    Attached Files
    Regards
    Mike

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Hinge 1...
      Attached Files
      Regards
      Mike

Comment

Hinge 2...
        Attached Files
        Regards
        Mike

Comment

Catch 1...
          Attached Files
          Regards
          Mike

Comment

Catch 2...
            Attached Files
            Regards
            Mike

Comment

Mike,

I think it is OK. You probably remember the thread I ran on the new fakes:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...&highlight=GWL

These still are a bit soft in the features with lots of pitting covered up with a finish of some type. Yours does not seem to have pitting or a cast line. I wish it had some finish typical of GWL badges when they have it, but a lot do not.

The GWL is getting up there with the sub frontspange as dangerous fakes appear, but still, I think the one you have is good.

What do you not like about it that is giving you some doubts?

John

Comment

Hi Mike I would agree with John, dont think the fakes are that good yet, a couple of points of concern but i believe an original. All the best

Comment

Maybe it's the pics, but the coloring appears off. Doesn't have that "zinc" look to it.

What are other's weight of their GWL's? Mine comes in at 18.3g.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Rev:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Darrell that was one of my concerns could not decide wether it was the pics, flash? Or a refinish, strange for a GWL. I have one with most of its finish and it is not as shiny as that. My other concern is the ballast line just seems weak and comes to a sudden halt. Hope here is a pic of mine poor pics thou.
                      Last edited by mrg; 07-23-2007, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Here my example with most finish remaining. Picked this one up for 75 pound if my brain is working.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Reverse
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mrg View Post
                            Hi Darrell that was one of my concerns could not decide wether it was the pics, flash? Or a refinish, strange for a GWL. I have one with most of its finish and it is not as shiny as that. My other concern is the ballast line just seems weak and comes to a sudden halt. Hope here is a pic of mine poor pics thou.
                            Yes, the keel looks odd.

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                              Yes, the keel looks odd.
                              You mean the way it is thicker at one end than the other?

I cant decide on this badge there are some points that make me feel its an original and then others, namely the keel, that give me doubts.

could it be the angle of the photo?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X