X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by militaria.no View Post
    Thank you Andre, way to go!!!!!! To quote you:

"I'm not 100% sure that it's a fake"

I`m not 100% sure that it's a fake either, and was told by a well known dealer here in Norway (you know very well who it is) that it is original and he had the same. I have had this 21 for almost ten years but always wanted a “Schwerin”, and bought one two weeks ago from collectortocollector, what we call an upgrade so no cruel intentions with the sale...

I would appreciate if you don’t start with saying "I'm not 100% sure that it's a fake", then telling the world "The owner of this badge has put it on a Norwegian auction site as an original" - as if this was the biggest sin in the world, contributing to topics like “Guess he doesn't know he can be expelled from here for doing that...” Thank you!

First a hint in one direction, then the wind turns. I hope other forum members understand my concern regarding this

I have always appreciated those who are consequent in this hobby...

Hi Marius.

I'm still learning same as you and that's why I said that I'm not 100% sure that it's a fake. I could say that I'm 85% sure that it's a fake because of the details on the badge.

Anyway.. other people in here think it's a fake and still you list it as an original. Why? Maybe it was wrong of me to write it to the world as you said, but I though it was right at that point since it was under discussion.

/André

Comment

Thank you Andre, way to go!!!!!! To quote you:

"I'm not 100% sure that it's a fake"

I`m not 100% sure that it's a fake either, and was told by a well known dealer here in Norway (you know very well who it is) that it is original and he had the same. I have had this 21 for almost ten years but always wanted a “Schwerin”, and bought one two weeks ago from collectortocollector, what we call an upgrade so no cruel intentions with the sale...

I would appreciate if you don’t start with saying "I'm not 100% sure that it's a fake", then telling the world "The owner of this badge has put it on a Norwegian auction site as an original" - as if this was the biggest sin in the world, contributing to topics like “Guess he doesn't know he can be expelled from here for doing that...” Thank you!

First a hint in one direction, then the wind turns. I hope other forum members understand my concern regarding this

I have always appreciated those who are consequent in this hobby...

Marius, John, I have searched for threads with badges marked 21 and cannot find one where the concensus is that they are good. If you have more info than please share it as I've always thought this was a learning forum. We don't know it all yet.

On the mine sweeper badge I will say this: The thought that a jeweler enhanced a badge by making crooked lines on the wings doesn't hold water. Perhaps the owner did it but then why is the finish in the scratches?

Marius, as for the phrase about being expelled for knowingly selling fakes, that is true. Selling fakes is not in the spirit of the forum. Ask Tom Hansen about it. You just can't ask him here because he was booted for doing it, althouh he claimed it was his son. Not a threat, just the facts.
      You listed your badge for sale after you received negative feedback on it here.
      pseudo-expert

Comment

Hi Don...I think my piece was "enhanced" because it looks like it was slightly vaulted giving the wings a non-horizontal look...you can see the original "struck in" eagle wing features, and then you can see the "cut in" features...anyway I will put better pix later, but I am out for the day now. If anybody has images of a Godet pin we could compare the two...I have lousy close-ups of the maker mark in the estand, but the numbers are definately different from the coastal.

Kindest Regards,

John

Comment

Thanks John, only thru sharing info can we get to the bottom of enigmas like this.
          pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Don Doering View Post
            Marius, as for the phrase about being expelled for knowingly selling fakes, that is true. Selling fakes is not in the spirit of the forum. Ask Tom Hansen about it. You just can't ask him here because he was booted for doing it, althouh he claimed it was his son. Not a threat, just the facts.
            You listed your badge for sale after you received negative feedback on it here.

Hello Don!

One thing we can agree upon is there can be a jungle of different opinions here on the forum, and then we have to manoeuvre and make our own opinions based on this. One thing can be a little bit difficult in this matter: To conclude in what degree to classify opinions. Like 50% maybe fake? 100% for sure fake? What is enough to dismiss a sale: One red flag? Two red flags? One orange and one green? Like I wrote I have just bought a Schwerin badge and I wanted to sell this to do an upgrade, not to get rid of a badge I considered to be a fake.

Then I had these opinions to “hang” my decision to sell on:

* To me - and this is only my opinion - whether it's real or not, this badge looks horrid.

* I'm not 100% sure that it's a fake, but I would not use my money on this one.

* Details are god awful

* One for the fakes gallery imo.

& the Norwegian dealer who saw it and said he had the same and it is original.

So I decided to make an auction... Then I came here and found an evaluation that is a little bit closer to 100% and more than might vs. might not. John writes: “the 21 Coastal is a fake that has been around since the 60s”. Ok, I were 100% convinced and pulled the auction. Not to be difficult here, it`s just that it is not nice to read about possibility of being expelled when one takes this hobby seriously and try to act accroding to that.

Comment

... but as I write in my signature: Don't let greed or fear of lose control your rational mind. This is when you'll make a lot of bad decisions.

Guess my greed to sell this badge controlled my rational mind, and made me make a bad decision , but I had no bad intention...
              Last edited by militaria.no; 07-17-2007, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Hi Marius and I am glad things worked out for the best even though it ruined your sale. At the end of the day you can look at yourself in the mirror and know you didn't screw another collector. That is how this hobby should be.
                thanks.
                vr
                D
                pseudo-expert

Comment

John, better shots would help, especially of the mark. Here is the same type mark on a fake spange.
                  Attached Files
                  pseudo-expert

Comment

And the front of this bad bird.
                    Attached Files
                    pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Don Doering View Post
                      At the end of the day you can look at yourself in the mirror and know you didn't screw another collector. That is how this hobby should be.
                      thanks.
                      vr
                      D

And one thing is sure: Other collectors who search for ”21” will feel the warmth of the barrels and smell burnt gunpowder a long way, and learn to stay away from “21”

Comment

-----------------

Comment

And one thing is sure: Other collectors who search for ”21” will feel the warmth of the barrels and smell burnt gunpowder a long way, and learn to stay away from “21”

It is all about finding the truth and helping each other.
                          Believe me, I have a few fakes sitting around which totals more than I want to say.
                          pseudo-expert

Comment

Take a look at this costal artillery on e-stand, it`s the same medal but with a different pin

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=232037

Comment

Hello fellow forum members:

Here are more pictures of the minesweeper as promised. I was going to put the pictures up earlier but the forum was down.

John

The eagle is obviously re-worked as you can see where the reverse hinge was taken off and re-applied with a sloppier solder job.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X