List of Auxiliary Cruiser Badge Manufacturers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ekrogh View Post
    By the way - this is a one-piece badge. No riveted globe...
    So far, except for Erik's piece, the only tombak badges we have identified are Schwerin and Juncker, both have riveted globe.

John
    Last edited by Norm F; 08-14-2013, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Unmarked Aux Cruiser Flat Back

The badge is flat, not scooped out. Please see the scan below.

Also, the catch does not appear to be cast. I've compared this Aux Cruiser badge to my 2 GWL U-Boat badges (known cast catch) as well as my L/52 tombak U-Boat badge. Although the catch is very cleanly attached, you can see a small a small bump of solder on the bottom of the catch, which I have tried to capture in the next scan (sorry, it's a little out of focus).

Thanks again!

Erik
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Norm F; 08-14-2013, 11:25 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
        Joe, do you have any other images of this badge. Clear shots of the eagle would certainly help a bit, but I still have a problem with that wreath not matching our Juncker examples.

It is possible that it is an earlier form of Juncker, and the one we see now is the second version since like Martin said, the globe, hinge, and pin seem to match. John
        John: I am currently away from my home (going to school for a year in Alabama and immedietly afterward I am being transfered to California) However, I did bring my badges with me, so I will take some better photos---don't expect too much though, as I have an old, crappy, first generation digital camera.

I just always assumed it was a Juncker and didn't give it much more thought than that.

Joe

Comment

Marked Juncker images from old thread. This is not Kai's recent upside down marked version. John
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Norm F; 02-12-2017, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Attached Files
            Last edited by Norm F; 02-12-2017, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Sorry Martin, had to use your post at GMIC, I think it adds a lot to this thread. Also Joe for putting the images together. I think this answers a lot of questions on this badge!

"Martin:

The badges posted below belong to Joe Slavick.Joe has written an excellent book,"The Cruise of the German Raider Atlantis"These badges are all made by Juncker.Top badge was from an Atlantis crewman and he received the award on 12-31- 41.

Regards,Martin."

It is clear to me all these are Junckers, including the first. Thanks for the work Joe. John
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Norm F; 08-14-2013, 11:28 AM.

Comment

A fellow forum member sent me this clipping.Looks like a nice plaque made on board one of the ships.
                Can anyone translate the text please?
                Thanks,Martin.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                  Well, who made this tombak badge then, it is an actual badge given at the Atlantis ceremony by Rogge? The wreath is completely different from any other badges we have posted, so who made this?

This is one of the badges awarded by Rogge on 31 Dec. The crewman related that all of the badges were the same, so I am assuming they were all one maker and type of manufacture.

Above information and image courtesy of Joe Slavick. John
                  <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
                  I wanted to get back to everyone on this badge. Joe Slavick very gratiously allowed me to examine this badge personally. The badge is a Juncker, no question. The national insignia is distorted in the photos due to an attempt to remove the symbol by filing and intense polishing. Some of the polish is still on the badge.

The distortions to the wreath are a result of the same filing of the symbol and looks as if the tip of the wreath was repaired. Maybe at the same time of the repair to the reverse.

All that said, this must be one of the most desirable badges of this type to own since Joe was given this by the crewman along with other documentation and photos.

So to summarize, this badge is no different after inspection than a normal Juncker auxiliary cruiser badge, just the de-nazification attempt made it look different in the photos.

John
                  Attached Files

Comment

Joe's excellent book--quite an adventure. Publisher Naval Institute Press. John
                    Attached Files

Comment

Tombak Juncker
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Norm F; 02-12-2017, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Auxillery Cruiser unmarked Juncker

detail
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Norm F; 08-11-2013, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Unmarked Tombak Aux Cruiser: BH Mayer?

Awhile back I posted some scans of my unmarked buntmetal Aux Cruiser badge (starting with post number 37, page 3 of this thread). Some comments were received, but there was no conclusion reached regarding the badge.

I just received a marked tombak L/18 (B. H. Mayer) minesweeper that exhibits many of the same characteristics on the reverse side as my Aux Cruiser. I am posting some comparative photos of the two badges and would appreciate your expertise in trying to determine whether my Aux Cruiser was manufactured by Mayer.

Primary characteristics in common:
                          1) Both badges exhibit a silver shine on the reverse
                          2) The hardware on the back of each badge is very similar:
                          • Both badges have a similar barrel hinge
                          • Both pins are similar in shape and length
                          • Both catches are similar
                          Best Regards,

Erik
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

Comment

Reverse. Note the silver finish on both badges.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Norm F; 08-11-2013, 12:30 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Minesweeper hinge and Auxiliary Cruiser hinge comparison.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Norm F; 08-14-2013, 11:48 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Excellent research Erik!! Lets see what others have to say, for now, I think your comparison is valid and I would have to say they are by the same maker. The reverse finish is consistent with other tombak badges and the rest of the badge does look tombak which is where we left it in the list above.

So far, it does seem to match your marked MS badge very closely.

The eagle is of course different, and, as you know, reverse hardware was borrowed/used by other makers as has been proven at this point. So, it probably the same maker with a different eagle.

Well done. John
                                Last edited by Norm F; 08-14-2013, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X