No announcement yet.

Nordwerftleistungsabzeichen for reference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jody, It seems to me better to buy two pieces of museum quality document glass and press the document in between, in other words, you can see both sides. Then frame it, no tape.

Jeff had done this with documents and I was really impressed. What do you think?

I think the less it is screwed with the better. You just never see the document with this badge.

John

Comment

WOW! Great set. That's a set I wouldn't mind having.

best
      Hank
      Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
      ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
        Jody, It seems to me better to buy two pieces of museum quality document glass and press the document in between, in other words, you can see both sides. Then frame it, no tape.

Jeff had done this with documents and I was really impressed. What do you think?

I think the less it is screwed with the better. You just never see the document with this badge.

John

Hi John,
        I guess that is a matter of taste, but I personally see no problem in professionally repairing old and torn documents. Especaily badly damaged ones like this one.

You should see what my friend did with a document that was badly damaged but signed by Thomas Jefferson.

Regards,
        Jody

Comment

Love that urkunden!

If done professionally i'd vote for a repair seeing as it's in two halves already.
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Norway Werft-Leistungsabzeichen

Merged two threads on the Norway Werft-Leistungsabzeichen for reference (Norway Dockyard Worker's Achievement Badge).
            Last edited by Norm F; 02-05-2017, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Here's the example from Angolia's "Die Kriegsmarine" (1991). He apparently didn't know what it was exactly but noticed the similarity to the Westwerft-Leistungsabzeichen. It's described as zinc but it's clearly the same construction as Rob's example so I doubt it's zinc.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Norm F; 12-28-2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

And for reference, the example recently posted by André which shows the typical short un-knurled pin, similar to that seen on the Nordwerft-Leistungsabzeichen.
                Attached Files

Comment

Two more examples of the Verleihungsurkunde.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here's an example posted previously on GMIC which shows a replaced pin (verified in the original posting).
                    Attached Files

Comment

No problem Norm.
                      Regards,
                      Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Wood View Post
                        No problem Norm.
                        Regards,
                        Pete
                        Ah yes, that was yours Pete! Thanks, I was having trouble finding the post again.

It's such a rare badge, every example is nice to see.

Best regards,
                        ---Norm

Comment

I was just a kid when I first started this thread, but almost 13 years later I'm happy to announce that I've found one for my own collection.

This recently came from the estate of a priest living by the Swedish/Norwegian border. Seems it, fittingly for the current season, was a Christmas gift from a Norwegian many years ago. The one that gave it has written a bit sarcastically on the Christmas tag "A memory from the Master race".
                          Seems these were very prone to breaking at the pin. One can also see remnants of sewing thread by the wing. Perhaps it was worn after the pin had fallen of. Or sew onto something else like Rob's piece.

I've spent a lot of time in Bergen these last few years and visited "Bruno", the German U-Boat pens that are still used by the Norwegian Navy, a couple of times. Maybe it was worn at that site, who knows, but a very thrilling thought. Attaching a couple of pictures from it. Also the Reichkriegsflagge that hung over the base, and was returned many years later by its British captor and now resides in the nice fortress museum nearby.

Attached Files
                          Last edited by Norm F; 12-28-2018, 03:26 PM. Reason: uploaded the linked images

Comment

nice addition, thx!

Comment

Originally posted by Christian J View Post
                              Seems these were very prone to breaking at the pin.
                              Thanks for posting!

Looking at your photos and all the others in the this thread, I’m now inclined to agree with Angolia’s description that these were made of zinc. That would also explain why the pin solder was prone to failure.

Best regards,
                              —-Norm

Comment

Yes, I'd say it's zinc as well.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X