gwl uboat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHAT IS DIFFERENT?

If I am blind, pleae help me see. What is the difference in these two badges other than minor hand finishing?
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Guys,
      I have had a very good look at the two badges in question and the only difference I can see between the two that can't be attributed to hand finishing is in the legs of the eagle. Merdock's eagle has no gap between its legs and the feathers go right down to its claws. On Bills, the legs have a gap between them and the feathers only go half way down. Other than that they are identical. Notice that these two badges are propless and have a projecting ballast line which is correct for an L/53 badge. Also notice that these two badges have a flag tower at 45 degrees while a standard GWL badge has a square flag tower. I would like to see the front of Franks badge before making any judgements on these, but I will say that on Gordons site he has two FO badges, one with a square flag tower and one with a 45 degree flag tower that are both claimed as original (no offence Gordon). My feelings are that it may be possible that Merdocks is an original second pattern GWL while the one Bill shows is a fake of this pattern.

Cheers,
      Brett
      Last edited by Sonderkommando; 04-11-2003, 05:37 AM.

Comment

I'm with Bill on this one. I've been offered several of this "other" type of GWL and its not one I would have in my collection. The level of detail is very poor, the accepted GWL had very distinct detailing to the three parts of the tower , i.e. compass housing, bridge, and flak platform, this other type has everything merged into one amorphous lump. Overall, the quality is very poor compared to the "typical" accepted GWL badge.

By the way Brett, the two FOs are exactly identical in every way except for the cutout swastika. I have the two in front of me now and the die characteristics of every part are the same.

Comment

Sorry Gordon, you're right. I had a very good look at the badges again and it was a dark mark making it appear as if the flag tower was on a 45 degree angle on the top one.

Cheers,
          Brett
          Last edited by Sonderkommando; 04-11-2003, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Hi,
            i belive that their is a difference in the trademak notice the G is wider and the arms appear to curve on the W on Bill's and as for the coning tower being a lump that is reserved for Bills repro the shape is a lot sharper on mine and certainly the quality is better.
            All the best Merdock

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X