Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aircraft-Carrier badge prototype

Hello folks,
    I was going through my books and noticed this rare prototype badge that was designed by Adolf Bock. Rather interesting and too bad it was not produced.

Has anyone seen this type before?

Regards,
    Jody
    Attached Files

Aircraft-Carrier badge

Here is the description.
    Attached Files

Comment

No, but I sure like the eagle's hat!

Comment

Prototypes

Interestingly in the mid 1960's I was at a flea market in a little town south of Columbus, Ohio that used to have a lot of German WW II stuff available. I believe the town was Washington Court House. Anyway, there was a guy there who had what he called three "rare prototype" badges for the then unGodly price of $100 each. One was an aircraft carrier war badge and was similar to the drawing shown. It had a gold wreath similar to any KM badge with eagle at top and a rendition of the Graf Zeppelin going throught the waves at a similar angle, kind of like an S-Boat badge. No aircraft, no periscope, top was cut out and was a single piece construction. It had a wide horizontal pin and top hook. I don't recall markings. The second one was supposed to be a V-2 badge that had a wreath and eagle like an army flak badge in silver and a verticle black V-2 rocket with what I guess was supposed top be smoke at the bottom. The tip of the rocket touched the bottom of the swastika. I don't recall marking or type of pin. The third one was a V-1 badge that had a grey wreath, silver luftwaffe eagle at the top with one rivet and a v-1 missile going from 5 o'clock to 10 o'clock in an angled view. Again, I don't really recall the pin set up or markings. At that time I was aware of the Souval set up and they did not have a Souval set up on the back as that was about the only sure sign of a fake I knew of at the time. No idea what type of metal they were made of either but they did not bend. The guy didn't have a story for them, he just picked them up in an office at the end of the war in a German town they were in and he didn't know the name of the towns they were in most of the time. I never knew what happened to them and I have never seen anything like them since. Now let's see how long it takes these to pop up from Latvia.
        Mike

Comment

What book is that Jody?

Strange that Dohle made no reference to them even though he does show prototypes.

Skip
          LOOKING FOR ALL ITEMS CONNECTED TO HERBERT SCHOB.

Comment

I like the American f4-f corsair taking off, gull wings and all

Comment

Aircraft-Carrier Badge

Originally posted by ethreecee
              I like the American f4-f corsair taking off, gull wings and all
              Hello,
              I believe that is a Stuka.

Regards,
              Jody

Comment

I remember those cartoon badges in DG; they were pretty funny!
                WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

-

IMO bull****.

Comment

I remember these in "DG" too. They were meant to be a joke. Thanks for bringing back some memories Jody.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

"dg"?

Comment

Sal,

D er G aulieter. It was an old paper calalog, monthly as I recall, for our Hobby. One of the few in the US. Most of the major dealers had their business cards posted, with classifieds in the back. An occasional article on blades, or badges, or collar tabs. You get the picture.

Some guys took out full page ads, listing the inventory at the time. There are still some familiar names doing business, but many of those 'premier dealers' have since retired from the hobby.

An artist that did the graphics by hand (I think his name was Duane Pfiester) also did a spoof 3R badge in each catalog. A little humor is good.

It was a disappointment when the publisher folded.

Mark
                        "You can check out any time you like ..... But you can never leave....."

Comment

Der Gaulieter

Originally posted by Sal Williams
                          "dg"?
                          Hi Sal,
                          I guess I am dating myself, but DG was great in the pre-internet days. I met a lot of great guys through it, like John Pepera.

I have issues going back into the 1970's. Here is one of the last issues they did, it came out the same week I was married and I remember reading it in the plane on the way to my honeymoon. Who says I am not a romantic.

I thought the issue was great for it covered Micheal Wittmann, and S-boot badges. Great stuff!

BTW, does anyone remember when Manion's used to be called the Foxhole?

Regards,
                          Jody
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jody cant believe that one. To my knowledge the germans got nowhere near producing a Carrier. Hitler had asked for plasns to be drawn up for a super Carrier to be designed but that was as far as it got.

Comment

Jody, you tricky bugger . It's not the 1st of April today . Here's another one of these "rare" pieces, published in D.G. 1992.

KR
                              Peter
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X