No announcement yet.

Panzer Lanyard...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what Philippe is refereeing to (great eyes Philippe!).

Comment

Originally posted by Philippe DB
      Really don't know if this could be significant.
      This is a good question. i just have counted these silver tiny threads on my Lanyard and i got only 4...

Comment

mine, the badge is 55.8 and 39.2

on mine same backing as Philippes #9 and 5 stitch pattern

Comment

And finally I made this compare (not to scale)of Tim's badge on his grade 10 and mine on the grade 9.

I'm absolutely convinced that both badges share the same design.

That being said its obvious that Tim's (left) is made out of another material with a very nice strong silver finish. Based upon some chips in the finish my best guess would be that it is made out of zinc.

Mine is made out of buntmetal and, unlike I wrote" earlier also received a finish that has all but disapeared accept for the lower areas next tot the eagles paws and in the swas. However is fully present on the reverse.

When comparing the detailing it's my impression that the stippling in the oakleaves is better on tim's badge but that the detailing in the panzer roadwheels, most obvious in the lower lighing track, is better on my badge.

Just posting this for the record, so all comments/thoughts more then welcome.

KR
          Philippe
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by VonLuger
            mine, the badge is 55.8 and 39.2

on mine same backing as Philippes #9 and 5 stitch pattern
            Hi Jeff,

Ok here are my measurements on the grade 1

H 55,80
            W 39,55

So as far as I'm concerned measurements fall within the limits that are acceptable. Casting would be more than 1 mm smaller. That leaves us with the backing and the 5 threads. Are these acceptable variants or aren't they.

Also would love to compare measurements on the grade 9 however because of the uneven wreath we have to make sure that we are measuring the same thing.

Robert could you do me a favour and post a pic where you indicate on my grade 9 the exact points from where to where we should measure. that way Tim and I could use the exact same reference points

KR
            Philippe

Comment

Originally posted by Philippe DB
              Robert could you do me a favour and post a pic where you indicate on my grade 9 the exact points from where to where we should measure. that way Tim and I could use the exact same reference points
              There you guys...

Comment

Here is picture of my Lanyard in big Zoom. As we can see, i got 4 tiny threads...

Anyhow, i just got PM from Andreas and he provided valuable info (thanks!). According to Angolia book, these lanyards were in service from 29.01.1936 to 14.02.1941. Then the WH stopped issuing them. Probably because soldiers were going straight to the front units after basic training only, so it was no time to qualify for Lanyards…
                Last edited by robert60446; 04-07-2007, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robert60446
                  This is what Philippe is refereeing to (great eyes Philippe!).
                  I don't mean to jump in on your guys thread, but from here the 1st one seems to have BOTH a 4 and 5 thread pattern. Interesting thread.

Take care guys.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Tim,
                    you are correct! This is getting better and better...
                    Originally posted by Tim Miller
                    I don't mean to jump in on your guys thread, but from here the 1st one seems to have BOTH a 4 and 5 thread pattern. Interesting thread.

Take care guys.

Comment

my brain hurts

Comment

Originally posted by robert60446
                        There you guys...
                        Txs Robert,

Ok here they are, triple checked on your reference points down to 0,05 mm

H 56,90mm
                        W43,90mm

@good eye Tim there are indeed a few 5threads woven in to that one

KR
                        Philippe

Comment

For what it is worth, I checked 29 Markmanship Lanyards with a magnifying glass and all appeared to have only "4" threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Curley
                            For what it is worth, I checked 29 Markmanship Lanyards with a magnifying glass and all appeared to have only "4" threads.
                            Morning Tim,

Well as a sample 29 lanyards for sure count and those 4 threads are indeed worth focussing on whenever you look at a lanyard.

The combination of 4 and 5 threads in my grade 1 which you also feel is ok, leaves some room for the exception.

Tim you already posted the dimensions of you grade 10 but could you do me a favor and take them again using Roberts reference points.

KR
                            Philippe

Comment

My measuring instrument is a clear ruler so it will be less precise than other means.
                              Panzer Lanyard, Grade 10 badge measures 4.4 X 5.7mm.

Comment

Txs Tim

Well I think you woud agree that that is spot one when compared to mine.

Well I'm afraid we have still a lot of research to do. From now on I will pay more attention to Lanyards whenever I have a chance to handle them and hopefully one day will be able to reach my own conclusions.

KR
                                Philippe

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X