X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh no! Not another Memel!

Hello all,

I know, I know, Memel medals...

Still: Just got this from the e-stand. What do you think?

Regards
    Chris
    Attached Files

Closeup:
    Attached Files

Comment

Ok, there's some damage to the edges, but I don't mind.
      Attached Files

Comment

Closeup of the back...
        Attached Files

Comment

Have you done a search for these? There have been a few threads on these and from memory, the shape of the "m" rings alarm bells with me...although I cannot recall if any firm conclusion was reached.

Comment

Hi Chris, i am sorry to say i believe this medal to be a fake, the reason being, wrong type of G, wrong style of date, defined noses of the two figures. Wrong type of m. There are some people who believe there are two versions on these, others one but this falls into neither, sorry . All the best

Comment

IMO this medal is original albeit a bit battered. I don't have any problem with the 'm's. The top two are similar and more curved in than the bottom which is broader at the base.

Comment

Thanks for your opinions! I actually did a thorough search of the old threads:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=58382
                http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=52057
                http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=42523

From what I see, there is a fake version with curved 'M's but it is quite different from mine. To me, mine looks similar to this original one sold by Detlev:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...624#post502624

Regards
                Chris

Comment

Chris,

I agree that the medal you posted does not match Detlev's fake.
                  George

Comment

Here's mine for comparison. I bought it as a repro, but i'm not sure...It looks quiet similar to the one Chris posted.
                    Attached Files

Comment

revese..
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Andy,
                        similar but not the same. Look at the '9's, the '2's or the 'E's (in 'Erinnerung', especially).

Comment

Hi web i still believe your medal to be a fake if you look at the G the arm is pointing straight up and is high,originals lets say second type had the small arm the other type had the laid back G. The one on detlevs site is just one of the fakes around.Also if you compare the heads and noses on originals the one you show has a much larger nose (this was a way to detect one of the earlier fakes) the head also seems somewhat large. The 22 also lacks the style. Not trying to be awarkward and this is just my opinion. All the best

Comment

We've been through this a few times now but for what it's worth

Cheers,
                            David.
                            Last edited by David C; 02-12-2005, 07:14 AM.
                            At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

Thanks for your input. Let me get this straight: So ONLY these two types are believed to be good (sorry to borrow your scan, George):
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X