• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

last pic:
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Tinmantis,
      IMHO both of these badges are of 1939 vintage rather than of 1936 vintage, as they both show the tapering swastica.
      Still both very nice badges in thier own right
      Ashley

Comment

Originally posted by atcase
        Hi Tinmantis,
        IMHO both of these badges are of 1939 vintage rather than of 1936 vintage, as they both show the tapering swastica.
        Still both very nice badges in thier own right
        Ashley
        thanks Ashley,
        could you explain the 'tapering' swastika for me?
        regards
        jon

Comment

Hi tinmantis,
          basically if you look at the swastica the base is wider than the top there is a thresd here explaining it better, try a serch.
          Ashley

Comment

what's the base? and what's the top?
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jon, what Ashley is trying to explain is how the swastika is formed. The "sides" taper upwards, so the bottom or base, is wider that the top. Imagine it like this / \.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
                Hi Jon, what Ashley is trying to explain is how the swastika is formed. The "sides" taper upwards, so the bottom or base, is wider that the top. Imagine it like this / \.

Cheers, Ade.
                so the brass one pictured above is much less tapered than the zinc one at the top of the page, yes? But still not spanish? my brain's in neutral tonight...

jon

Comment

Hi tinmantis,
                  Ade manage to describe it better than me i think the lack of taper to the brass badge could be due to wear ?
                  Ashley

Comment

Hi,

Jon, from Hamelman's work, the HEIGHT of the swastika is important. People keep on quoting Hamelman's book because as far as I know he's the only one that has published any real STUDY of the German Wound badge, although other books are out there and many more cover the basic award criteria. From the looks of the bronze badge, the swas height is less than 0.5 mm.

I'm attaching the two important diagrams from his book for the discussion. On the left, his Spanish/Legion Condor and on the right his 1939 First Pattern.

Re the two badges in the first post, I still personally don't like the one on the right with the poorly formed swastika and the brass one on the left is in a grey area (but probably OK). I'd like to see full reverse images of both badges.

Regards
                    Mike K
                    Attached Files
                    Regards
                    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X