Ostmedaille 1941/42 types & base material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert P. View Post
    These are the examples I weighed and found that the brass-colored core Ost was indeed heavier than the zinc Ost...

I never measured their thicknesses; this could have varied more with different manufacturers.

Robert
    But not by 21%......
    Robert, you have one example, how many of them (made from tombak) we can see around? None? Still, in my opinion zinc was a base material for massive production of this medal.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei1774 View Post
      But not by 21%......
      Robert, you have one example, how many of them (made from tombak) we can see around? None? Still, in my opinion zinc was a base material for massive production of this medal.
      Yes, no argument from me on that. Still...tombak examples exist. I have given strong evidence to this, everyone must agree. In this we can move away from opinions (which are good, nothing to be said against them) and move toward facts.

Robert

Comment

Out of curiosity I dug an Ost medal out of hiding to weigh and measure it.

My old (now sold) tombak-cored Ost medal weighed 18.3 grams. The Ost medal I compared it to in the old photo weighed 17.3 grams. I now regret not taking a thickness measurement of the tombak Ost medal. The Ost medal in the photo below (maker '61' R. Karneth & Sohne) weighs 18.7 grams. I'll bet that tombak-cored Ost was thinner than these zinc versions. It had to have been.

Robert
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi, guys!

In my opinion, the weighting of different types of medals from various manufacturers will not work. For confirmation of my words will show two zinc medal: the easiest I've seen (left, maker mark "19", Ferdinand Wiedmann) weight of 16.75 grams and the heaviest (right, maker mark "13", Gustav Brehmer) weight of 24.4 grams. Has anyone compared the weight of the medals with different surface within a single manufacturer? I think not.

Best regards, Vladimir.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X