No announcement yet.

The Marshals Baton Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Interimsstab of Großadmiral Karl Dönitz featured on Mythos Marschallstab.
    Attached Files

Comment

GFM Milch's baton, featured on the Press and Journal (Aberdeen, Scotland), 1945

The full article relates how Milch was captured near Neustadt but doesn't mention the baton other than to say that the soldier who captured Milch (Gunner Martin Addlington of the 1st Mountain Regiment, Royal Artillery ) had been allowed to keep it.

(Photo and information credits to James Clark, who sent me the photo with the description; thanks James )
      Attached Files

Comment

A rare photo of the baton (with case) awarded to GFM Werner von Blomberg. The picture dates 1936, just moments before the award ceremony.
        Attached Files

Comment

Anyone knows:
          1. Where is Milch's damaged formal baton?
          2. Has the damaged velvet replaced?
          Attached Files

Comment

It's really hard to see in Chen's photo because of the watermark, but if you look closely, Milch is holding his formal baton. Chen: do you have any background of this photo, such as time, place, others
            in the photo?

Steve
            ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

That all I have.

Comment

The photo could possibly be dated 30 December 1971- the day the baton was given back to Milch, presented to him by a Bundeswehr general, less than a month before he died.

Kind regards
                Pierce

Comment

Originally posted by luftkrieg View Post
                  The photo could possibly be dated 30 December 1971- the day the baton was given back to Milch, presented to him by a Bundeswehr general, less than a month before he died.

Kind regards
                  Pierce
                  I believe your date is correct on this pic. Tom

Comment

So, how did the Bundeswehr end up the Baton? How was it damaged? In short, what was the history of the Baton? Of course I read the above listed news clipping showing the baton in the hands of British soldiers, but there is obviously more to the story. Does anyone know?

Steve
                    ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

Comment

Steve,
                      You may perhaps find the answer in this book.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for that Chen, but to answer my question, I'd rather not pay two to three hundred dollars for the answer. I was just hoping that someone might address the question with one or two succinct paragraphs. Still, thank you for the reference to the book.

Steve

Comment

Steve,
                          I understand.
                          I am more curious:
                          1. Where is it now?
                          2. Is it re-velvet again after fire damaged.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Chen,
                            You reference a fire. Well, that's just the kind on detail I want to know about. What fire??

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Sherlock View Post
                              Hi Chen,
                              You reference a fire. Well, that's just the kind on detail I want to know about. What fire??

Steve
                              Steve,
                              I have that book and I cannot remember whether it mentions the fire did the damage and which fire.
                              Let me check first.

Comment

According to Irving the baton was looted by the British from Milch's possessions he had at Sierhagen Castle, after he surrendered. Here is what he says about after 1945:

"On 30 December his field marshal’s baton, which had been taken from him
                                in 1945 and been purchased after many wanderings by a Scottish family in
                                memory of three sons they had lost in the RAF in the war, was returned by
                                their generosity to Germany, and formally handed back to Milch in a small
                                ceremony by a Bundeswehr general at his bedside."

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X