Bar with Brz. 2nd kls.

Howard
    reverse foto.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Kelley View Post
      Bar with Brz. 2nd kls.

Howard
      Construction looks better, but the same doubts apply regarding a bronze award on a German bar. And the order is wrong - the Ostvolk award outranked the Hindenburg cross.

Comment

Hi guys,

Bringing this old thread back to the surface. A few weeks ago, I picked up a collection of Ostvolk Decorations. I was surprised to find a non-rope, flatback version in the collection.

A few of the second class decorations are marked '100' on the suspension rings.

Two of the first class decorations are marked '100' on the underside of the pin.

One of the first class decorations is stamped L/13 on the center reverse.

Best regards,
        Tom
        Attached Files
        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Here is the non-rope, flatback, second class bronze with swords. It is made of zinc and sure looks authentic as far as I can tell. This example has no marking on the suspension ring.

If this small collection is a true representation of the number of non-rope types in relation to the rope types, then the non-rope types must be very scarce indeed.
          Attached Files
          Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Here is the reverse of the first class in gold with swords:
            Attached Files
            Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

It is stamped on the center reverse with the LDO number of Paul Meybauer 'L/13'.
              Attached Files
              Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Nice little collection you picked up there Tom.
                I am still to get a 1st class award, but did pick up a 2nd class this week.
                I was wondering if you could decipher this mark?
                Looks to be 120?
                Attached Files

Comment

This is the award it's on.
                  How many different makers have been found on the Ostvolk. At first i thought they were only found with the mark "1". Obviously i was mistaken.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony N View Post
                    Nice little collection you picked up there Tom.
                    I am still to get a 1st class award, but did pick up a 2nd class this week.
                    I was wondering if you could decipher this mark?
                    Looks to be 120?
                    Hello Anthony,

That is certainly a very strange looking marking. It does look like a '12' with a '0' below. I don't know why it would be stamped in that manner, though.

The medal itself looks OK, as long as the base material is zinc. The ribbon, however, looks to be a modern replacement.

Best regards,
                    Tom
                    Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony N View Post
                      This is the award it's on.
                      How many different makers have been found on the Ostvolk. At first i thought they were only found with the mark "1". Obviously i was mistaken.
                      Hello Anthony,

It seems that Rudolf Wächtler & Lange (100) was a prolific manufacturer of these decorations. In fact, '100' is the only number I have ever noted on the suspension ring of a second class. Even with many of the unmarked second classes, close examination of the medal will reveal that they too were struck off the Wächtler & Lange tooling. In addition, have noted other unmarked second classes that used completely different dies, so I assume that at least a few other manufacturers were involved.

With the first classes, I have only seen marked examples by '100' and by 'L/13'.

I have never seen an example marked '1' to Deschler of Munich. If you have a picture of such an example, I would sure like to see it.

Best regards,
                      Tom
                      Last edited by Tom Yanacek; 04-20-2009, 01:36 PM.
                      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Thanks for the help so far.
                        when i said "1", i actually meant "100"
                        As for whether the award is Zinc, well i'm very bad on metals.
                        It is very light & the rear does look like it's reacted a little which makes me believe it may be zinc.
                        Here's a picture of the rear
                        Attached Files

Comment

looks ok mine is a bit like that on the back

Comment

Thanks Vic, i'm told that the bubbling is common on Zinc awards.

Comment

Ostvolker 1 kl gold

Hello all!
                              please look - it's original?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Ostvolker 1 kl gold

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X