Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ostmedaille maker mark "110"

HI everyone,

Today I got an Ostmedaille with maker mark "110".
    It´s not in the maker´s list -dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/campaign_awards/easternwintermedal/easternwintermedal.htm-
    Maybe it´s a bit unusual.

Please take a look and let me know what do you think.

Thanks in advance,
    Adolph.
    Attached Files

Hi Adolph award looks like a nice original . Had a few of these in my time and believe that i have had one from this maker myself. Personally I believe no records on who produced these awards would ever be 100%accurate as there were so many factories involved. All the best

Comment

Thanks mrg,

Well, I know "110" is for "Otto Zappe, Gablonz a.d.N."

I would like to know if this maker mark is scarce in this type of medal. I´m saying this mainly because I haven´t seen the MM in the list of confirmed manufacturers cited in the Forum page dedicated to the Russian Front Medal.

Thanks in advance,
      Adolph.

Comment

Would this be a buntmetal one?

Comment

Yes, I think is made from Buntmetal.

Regards,
          Adolph.

Comment

Should it be magnetic?

Filip

Comment

HI Filip,

Only the ring is magnetic. In this case and all the Ostmedaille I know.

Regards,
              Adolph.

Comment

Adolph,
                I belive you that find that this medal is made of zinc. Notice the very small bubbles under the finish? This number (110) is frequently offered for sale. Another obversation is that most of the time the badge is in very good condition. This particular makers finish held up better than most others.

Chet
                Zinc stinks!

Comment

Thanks. I have an ostfront, the loop is magnetic, but the medal isn't, I thought it was bad because of that.
                  One more question and thats it, how wide should the ribbon be?

Thanks
                  Filip

Comment

Originally posted by Chet Sowersby View Post
                    Adolph,
                    I belive you that find that this medal is made of zinc. Notice the very small bubbles under the finish? This number (110) is frequently offered for sale. Another obversation is that most of the time the badge is in very good condition. This particular makers finish held up better than most others.

Chet
                    is this a zinc one too?

Thanks
                    Filip

Comment

Thanks Chet for your comments, I didn´t notice it was made of zinc, I´ve seen it now with the close up picture. Nice maker.

Filip, about the ribbon question, I have a few Ostmedaille and all except one have the usual wide ribbon, aprox. 3cm. The other one is aprox. 2,5cm. This happends also with other medals I have.

Regards,
                      Adolph.

Comment

Hello,

Nice looking award!

I have one in the packet coming in the mail from this maker, I will have to wait and check the packet for maker information.

William Kramer
                        Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

About the buntmetall and the zinc:

For so far I know they were all made of zink and not from Buntmetall. The only reason why some of them keeping up their finish quite well is simply because that there were manufacturers who used a better quality zinc alloy than others. Beside this, is the way they stored the last sixty years also important for the quality.

Regards, Theo
                          Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Hello,

I would say that mine was produced in Buntmetal or Tombak and not zinc because of the golden tones coming through in worn areas.....if I have to post an image I will. The medal came in a packet with this marking on the reverse, is this correct?

Please let me know either way. Thank you.

William Kramer
                            Attached Files
                            Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

I would say that this packet is not for that medal if the medal is stamped 110. 110 is Otto zappe of Gablonz.
                              It's the same with my packet as well.
                              It seems to be one of those medals that usually comes in the wrong packet, very common.
                              Maybe we should start a packet swapping thread so we can all try & get the packet that matches our medals.
                              Ant.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X