No announcement yet.

memel medal maker marked 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the type with the slanted "G" is often found on medal bars than is that a powerful indicator and bad news for me. However I shall try to make some very clear close up pictures after this weekend and send them to an association member for posting it. I do it just to show the perfect details on my medal. Almost better than many other that I have seen on the forum.

Regards, Theo
    Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Originally posted by Theo Cuypers View Post
      Hi again,

"16" stands for Alois Rettenmeyer, Swäbisch Hall.

-My piece has an open ring
      -details of the medal are very perfect.
      -It has a straight "G".
      -Maker mark is nicely executed.
      -ribbon with faded colors and a bronzed pin for wear on civilian clothes.

This medal drives my crazy. Is it a possible fake? Then it is better manufactured then an original?

On the other hand... How many dies where made of this medal? And what are their characteristics? I keep records only based on the "G". On the most sites of well known dealers. And you can find both the slanted "G" and the straight "G"

Regards, Theo
      thanks for that theo. is he an offical award maker or is it a replacement award maker?as in like the talor's who sell replacement awards or maybe its just a very good fake
      oh well cheers jamie

Comment

thanks for posting the photos terry

Comment

Have you guys checked previous threads?

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ighlight=memel

There are more, I am sure. Better photos would no doubt help.

Comment

Hi Jamie not the best of pics, really need to be clearer, but I do not like what i see. What i can make out is Lettering does not look correct(but that could be the pics). Front also looks alittle suspect. Not many of these medals were awarded so the factories producing these were on a limited scale when compared with other awards. All the best

Comment

yes thanks for them.its the front of the medal for me the detail is fantastic have not seen one the same yet.thats why not sure about this medal
              cheers jamie

Comment

Hi Jamie known fakes of this award are better quality and more detailed than the original. Hard to tell from the pics but doubtfull. All the best

Comment

Originally posted by mrg View Post
                  Hi Jamie known fakes of this award are better quality and more detailed than the original. Hard to tell from the pics but doubtfull. All the best
                  hi mrg
                  yes thanks for that when i get a camara i'll try and take better pics.
                  cheers jamie

Comment

Hi,

Just looked in a copy of Dr. Heinrich Doehle's book of 1943. The memel medal he showed has the slanted "G", straight legs at the letters "M" and 1 acorn on each side of the bow at the bottom. So, the 1 or the 2 acorns are not one of the final facts? But the slanted "G" and the legs of the letters "M" are the most imported things to look at?

I have already accepted that my "16" marked medal become "Doubtfull"

Regards, Theo
                    Freedom is not for Free

Comment

I would really like to see good quality pictures of both of these medals.

Al

Comment

Hi Mr All P,

Today I saw a fellow collector and dealer. He also diden't like my medal. So I supose you are right about the fact that the best way to compare such medals is with the one that could be found on unaltered medal bars. Only the one acorn variant in Doehle's book let me believe that their were at least 2 different variants in the backside. I try to take some pictures today and send them to my friend. But I can't see on which day he will send them to the forum.

Regards, Theo
                        Freedom is not for Free

Comment

can anyone recommend a good digital camera for close ups of medals
                          thanks jamie

Comment

There have been a number of threads about this but obviously it is a question of personal choice and budget. Go for a camera with a macro setting for close ups and a high resolution (you can now get 7 mega pixels although I do not think it is worth going to those extremes). Plenty of good brand names around. I have a Nikon Coolpix but as I said, plenty of other brands which will do the job just as well.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X