4-place medal bar with Memel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mustangstje View Post
    could someone please explain the wire setup?

Nick

Catches like these are preferred.
    Very nice and rare combo

Pierre
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mustangstje View Post

Are they somewhat a grey area? They might not be wartime at all?

Cheers,
      Nick
      Fakers are very skilled nowadays. Judging from medal authentication, folding of ribbon and mounting styles are no longer reliable.
      Wire catch is common on 1870s medal bars and some pre-WWI bars, but not on WWII examples. On the other hand the famous Austrian faker used wire catch on all his works.

Comment

Originally posted by lewjian View Post
        Fakers are very skilled nowadays. Judging from medal authentication, folding of ribbon and mounting styles are no longer reliable.
        Wire catch is common on 1870s medal bars and some pre-WWI bars, but not on WWII examples. On the other hand the famous Austrian faker used wire catch on all his works.
        If the bar is priced at the sum of the VERY nice medals without too much bar tax added it's a no-lose situation.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
          If the bar is priced at the sum of the VERY nice medals without too much bar tax added it's a no-lose situation.

Ian
          Quite right Ian and I certainly won't pay over the odds simply because the medals are parade mounted.I take into consideration current market value of each medal and add perhaps 5 % bar tax and pay no more than that.I have been lucky enough in many cases to pay less market value for each mounted medal.

Troy

Comment

Hello! Check out the book by Thomas Yanacek. There are a sufficient number of examples where the bars have wire hooks for catch. For example, page 37, 49, 63, 104 , 115, 135, 138, 159,

Comment

Now I understand, learned something new today.

Again thanks for all the comments Gents. Price was really good for the whole group, of which all awards have been found original here on WAF. So either way I won't lose on it.

Best regards,
              Nick
              Last edited by Mustangstje; 04-02-2020, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Having collected medal bars for many years I must confess I too have never heard of the term "wire" being used to describe this type of catch.

This bar looks good to me too.

Kind regards,
                Pierce

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                  Catches like these are preferred.
                  Very nice and rare combo

Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Edward 1970 View Post
                    Hello! Check out the book by Thomas Yanacek. There are a sufficient number of examples where the bars have wire hooks for catch. For example, page 37, 49, 63, 104 , 115, 135, 138, 159,
                    i dont say there are not good examples.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X