No announcement yet.

GSG9 helmet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is simply to point out that Marzetti shows four distinct types of G-9 helm, none of which seem to be quite the same shape as the one ID'd above as G-9. Possibly a photographic illusion?

(One is a bowl-shaped job which seems to be the one in the action photo above).

The most similar one, with the slotted bolts, has a liner similar to the M-71. I don't claim to have an explanation for these apparent discrepencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Frentebro
      This is simply to point out that Marzetti shows four distinct types of G-9 helm, none of which seem to be quite the same shape as the one ID'd above as G-9. Possibly a photographic illusion?
      My point is that you can't merely rely on one single source, and when the helmet isn't in that source it must not be good.

I've spoken to some other collectors about these helmets as well. I don't have a copy of the German version of Baer's books, but I wonder if that work sheds any light. Here is a helmet Dave Powers said he picked up in the late 1960s.
      Attached Files

Comment

And more importantly...the liner. Note that this liner is quite similar to the one I posted above. Dave said he obtained this helmet around 1967 or that this is the M-57. This suggests such a liner MIGHT have been used at one time.
        Attached Files

Comment

Peter, thanks for posting those photos. That helmet is still different than what I would call the "FJ repro" of the 80s. I agree the liner looks very similiar. Could come from the same source. I have a few sets of those green chinstraps, always wondered when they were used. I see that helmet has the same color and bolts as the later GSG9 helmet.

Here is an inside view of the FJ repro. The liner may be very similiar, but the pad arrangement is different. That plus the bluegray paint and straps.
          Attached Files
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

I know this discussion is based on the GSG-9 helmet but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the early Fallschirmjaeger of the Bundeswehr also wore a very similar helmet if not exactly the same to that of the GSG-9. Some with the same liner and some with another style of liner with the same kind of straps. I would post some pics but my two helmets (Bundeswehr & GSG-9 are sitting in a Army Surplus store on consignment. Bill

Comment

See also police Speziale Einsatz-Kommando (SEK), who have also used these helms. Specialoperations.com
              Last edited by Frentebro; 04-12-2005, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frentebro
                See also police Speziale Einsatz-Kommando (SEK), who have also used these helms. Specialoperations.com
                Thanks Dave. Might you have any photos of those helmets in use?

Comment

Here are some pics of my FJ Bundeswehr helmet and the GSG9 Helmet.
                  Attached Files

Comment

pic 2
                    Attached Files

Comment

Gsg9
                      Attached Files

Comment

pic #2
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Apologies for resurrecting an ancient thread, but I came across it whilst attempting to research a couple of West German paratrooper helmets I've acquired. They're commonly described as a Versuchshelm which was never adopted. For example:

http://sharky-fourbees.blogspot.com/...helm-west.html

I started a thread about it in the Bundeswehr section, but it seems to have fizzled out:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=989286

However, this 2005 thread seems to suggest they are an early reenactor product - a loose lookalke of the M38 based on the GSG9 helmet shell. This would help explain various odd things about them.

So does anyone have the straight dope on them? Are they a reenactor product, or a trials para helmet?

Thanks,
                          Mark

Comment

You might find this thread helpful in your research:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=362510

N.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X