Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off you should look at the front stiching, not what you should normally see on an early piece.

and the photo of the back, focus on this area. You should be able to see it a bit more clear.
    Attached Files

Comment

Please point out what you can see. I cannot see any sign what so ever of previous stitching or pins going through material.

Ross

Comment

Comment

Your answer is a little bit vague. If I could see what you can see I would have absolutely no problem in describing it in words.

Ross

Comment

Without being able to do a 'hands on', I have to agree that the eagle appears to have been added post war.
            • The front stitching is not of the quality one would expect to see from a tunic of that timeframe; it is too sloppy and with a very odd thread.
            • I think I see some 'tugs' in the fabric on the back to the left of the eagle.
            • I see very distinct holes where the thread passes through the tunic; especially noticeable on the back. Usually 65 years later the fabric would be 'tighter'.
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

I suggest you show this photo to the ladies at your local spinning and weaving group and ask them about the fabric construction and if they think there is signs of something else been sown on before the eagle now.

Comment

Originally posted by SMP View Post
                What about this type of eagle ? Does anyone know what type of uniform used these ?
                Good eye Steve! That eagle looks familiar. No, we don't know what it was used on. IMO, not a smock eagle and is the same as the one we are discussing. A very late eagle IMO.
                Attached Files
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Attached Files
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi,

the eagle in post number 473 (originally post 457) is a completely different eagle to the one in post number 472 (originally post 462). The areas which you have circled in red are different on both eagles. The one in post number 473 is a smock eagle on olive twill.

When the eagle in post 473 was applied to the KM tunic is hard to be certain about. I do not think however for one minute that it is a factory application and it certainly has been reapplied but then being a KM tropical tunic it would be reapplied. The same as I have never ever seen a KM trop M41 cap which had trop LW insignia factory applied. They always seem to be re-applications as well.

The question is always with such items when was it re-applied, before the war or after ? My feeling with this KM tunic with LW smock eagle is that it may in fact be a post war re-application but it is still a smock eagle.

I am noting carefully all the opinions and experience being shared here and I am not rushing to remove the eagle yet. Will have another look for signs of the original KM trop eagle but I have found none so far,

Chris

Comment

Good eye Steve! That eagle looks familiar. No, we don't know what it was used on. IMO, not a smock eagle and is the same as the one we are discussing. A very late eagle IMO.
                      Steve, sorry I didn't overlook your eagle! I agree late war imo

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
                        the eagle in post number 473 (originally post 457) is a completely different eagle to the one in post number 472 (originally post 462). The areas which you have circled in red are different on both eagles. The one in post number 473 is a smock eagle on olive twill.
                        Chris, you are correct. Taking another look they are indeed different eagles.
                        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Zahn View Post
                          Chris, you are correct. Taking another look they are indeed different eagles.
                          Thanks Willi for having another look.

I think it is in fact the same as the eagles which John Hodgin has shown in postings 447 & 448 but the eagles beck is not obscured by the zig-zag stitch and the olive twill is running in the opposite /////// direction.

Would be interested to know if you or John might agree that it is the same maker as your one in post 447 & Steve's in post 448.

Many thanks, Chris
                          Last edited by 90th Light; 12-08-2009, 12:17 AM.

Comment

As I was the one who took the pics I certainly did not see any evidence of a previous eagle but who knows as to when the LW eagle was stiched on.
                            Last edited by ebony; 12-08-2009, 04:12 AM.

Comment

As I was the one who took the pics I certainly did not see any evidence of a previous eagle but who knows as to when the LW eagle was stiched on.
                              Hard to say, there are a number of years after the war that it could of been done, 60's 70's maybe 1995. But yes you are right.

Comment

A new smock eagle. Thanks to a fellow WAF member for selling me this.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X