This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
    Glad at least you are here Michael. Guess Willi and Steve are on vacation. Together?

Here is an example of exactly what you describe. And before the deluge of PMs begin, the tunic illustrated is not mine. However it will be illustrated in a future book I'm working on.
    My gosh that is a handsome combination. Very cool.
    When you go home
    Tell them for us and say
    For your tomorrow
    We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
    Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Perhaps this eagle is sewn on an Army M-44 tunic and was used late war by the Luft branches? Just a guess. Very interesting tunic John, and looking forward to your next book.

I also want to wish Willi and Steve a very nice vacation together at "Lover's Lane"

Comment

Originally posted by Larry F. View Post
        I also want to wish Willi and Steve a very nice vacation together
        The word is Holiday - and no, Willi is not with me !

Hi John,
        I haven't seen that eagle on anything-else yet. I also believe the eagle you have just shown is different. Here is one that is identical . It belongs to a member here. I think the twill pattern is different on yours. The other 3 look like - \\\\\\\\

What do you think ?

Steve
        Attached Files

Comment

Hey Steve,

No, the eagle is not exactly the same, nor is the backing exactly the same, but the color of the backing is almost identical.

My point is not about matching actual eagle design, but that the eagle would normally be considered a "smock" eagle, and it is applied to a very special tunic instead of a smock.

So the question is, has anyone ever seen a "smock" eagle on a tunic before?!

And, when you do go on Holiday, hope it's a good one.
          Last edited by John Hodgin; 12-04-2009, 06:17 PM.
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
            So the question is, has anyone ever seen a "smock" eagle on a tunic before?!
            Nope, not before this photo and with what I found out today from another source. With we do know about Luftwaffe uniforms, there is much to still learn 65 years later for those who want to learn......
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Zahn View Post
              Nope, not before this photo and with what I found out today from another source. With we do know about Luftwaffe uniforms, there is much to still learn 65 years later for those who want to learn......
              So true Willi, so true !

Have a look at the images I have just asked "ebony" to post on this thread for me. Now this one is one strange combination for sure which I just can not explain for love of trying. A KM tropical tunic with one of those "olive twill" backed FJ smock eagles which John Hodgin was asking about.

I would be very interested to know you guys think about this ???

Best regards, Chris

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Ebony and Chirs,

Similar eagle - Yes
                      Original to the tunic - No

Had a trap Kriegs eagle on there...

Comment

Originally posted by PAO View Post
                        Ebony and Chirs,

Similar eagle - Yes

Totally agree!
                        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

What about this type of eagle ? Does anyone know what type of uniform used these ?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Ebony and Chirs,

Similar eagle - Yes

Thanks POA & John.H.

I have always had the feeling that the eagle has more than likely been post war added to the tunic and that I should carefully pick it off because it is a rare eagle.

then not long after I got the tunic, I picked up from a very good source a KM trop M41 cap with green lining but an LW trop eagle and roundel instead of the trop KM versions.

Crossed my mind that of they did that for the caps then why not the tunics ?

I am not trying to argue that it is right, I just want to double check and make sure I am doing the right thing before I take it off. Also there is absolutely no other sign what so ever of a tropical KM eagle has ever been on there in shaped form or tarp form which is puzzling.

so would your feeling be 1/ a post war re-applied eagle or 2/ a war time re-applied eagle like one can sometimes find with the KM M41 caps ????

Chris

Comment

Crossed my mind that if they did that for the caps then why not the tunics ?
                              It was done, but not on this example that you presented.

Also there is absolutely no other sign what so ever of a tropical KM eagle has ever been on there in shaped form or tarp form which is puzzling.
                              Have a closer look at the back.

Post war re-applied, as for the M41 I cannot comment w/o photos.

Michael

Comment

It was done, but not on this example that you presented.

Have a closer look at the back.

Post war re-applied, as for the M41 I cannot comment w/o photos.

Michael
                                Hi Michael

Could you point out the signs that tell you there was a KM eagle on the tunic originaly.

Thank you

Ross

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X